File Associations

S

starrin

Hello,

I am new to OS X and was wondering how you change the file associations. In other words how do I get my mail client of choice to pop-up when I hit a mail link on a page?

Thanks.

OP
S

sonnylee

Here you go.

First, just for mail, open up mail. Then go into its preferences. Under the general tab, you'll see where you can set your default mail reader.

However, if you're looking for something more central, something similar to what Windows OS' have, then you may be interested in a program called "Default Apps"

G'Luck!
Sonny

starrin said:
Hello,

I am new to OS X and was wondering how you change the file associations. In other words how do I get my mail client of choice to pop-up when I hit a mail link on a page?

Thanks.

OP
S

starrin

Thank you for the info -- I will most definitely give it a try.

One other question I have that you may be able to answer:

I would like to view what is in a zip without extracting it -- can you do this in StuffIt (the free version of it)? Essentially I would like a tool that does what WinZip does in Windows -- have any suggestions?

Thanks anyone for their help:)

OP
S

sonnylee

Hmm... I don't know about this for Mac. In Windows, zip archives can be read by the OS itself, without unzipping, as you stated. In MAC however, I have yet to find a way to do this. Sorry!! If you do find a way, please post! I would like to know as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Umm. Its pretty simple actually.

Select a file type that you want to associate with a programme. Right click (or control click) it and select "get info". Under "Open With:", choose a programme and click "Change All". This will make all files of that type to open with the programme you selected. Do this will all the file types you wanna change.

Hope this helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.