• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Fed up with Apple

Reaction score
Purely my personal feelings here, but... at the kind of prices Apple charges for its hardware, there shouldn't be any lemons!

It is impossible to build complex personal electronics to a price point with no defects.

However, Apple has a policy that if you have a Macintosh that they've tried to repair three times (for the same problem), and they have been unsuccessful, they will give you a brand new one.

I've heard from a good number of very happy individuals who were given brand-new Macs when Apple couldn't repair their old Mac which was under warranty. Sometimes, thanks to having purchased AppleCare, these users had Macs replaced that were many years old.

Apple tries really hard to do right by their customers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I tend to agree with your comments, and as we just inherited a 2011 27" SSD iMac that will replace my wife's 2007 24" still working fine iMac, I didn't feel it was excess ordering a 16 GB set of RAM chips from OWC for it yesterday, I will give it 20 GB total. I didn't want my wife to experience any spinning beach balls!!! But hey, neither did the 2007 24" iMac running El Capitan with a maximum of 6 GB RAM!!!

- Patrick
======

Sounds likely mid 2011 27" with 20GB RAM and an SSD. But I still occasionally get beachballs. Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sounds likely mid 2011 27" with 20GB RAM and an SSD. But I still occasionally get beachballs. Pete[/QUOTE

I guess you push yours a little bit more than we do.

We haven't had any yet, and I still don't have all the new additional RAM (16GB 2 x 8 chips) installed in the new one.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry to say, but if you have an SSD and that much RAM, seeing beachballs is really far from being normal. You have something that needs to be fixed.

I must admit that I was thinking the same thing Randy.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
He used to do this kind of work that entailed actually reballing or completely replacing a GPU, but Apple does not allow 3rd party companies from acquiring these kind of chips, so it's near impossible to find them to replace. For this reason, he will decline these repairs. He will decline a reballing repair because once the GPU has internal damage once GPU issues show up. The GPU board is deteriorating and reballing is just a temporary fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to say, but if you have an SSD and that much RAM, seeing beachballs is really far from being normal. You have something that needs to be fixed.

My SSD is definitely not full. Don't get the beachballs all the time, just on occasion...especially if I rush from one app to another to another.. Other than that the only other issues I've experienced is an occasional black screen for a few seconds which then goes away, and some frustration when try to use the vertical cursor(?) to move down when reading an article. It either won't move or lags a lot. Oh, an articles that jump all over the page when i try to read an article before finally settling down. Could be some adware maybe. Any ideas?
I use Safari as my browser and my.yahoo as my home page. Don't stream anything. I have Onyx and Macwarebytes. Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Apple? Lemons? Just watch out for papaya! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I printed out both articles and will follow them. Thanks. A little under the weather right now.

Pete

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What is "reballing"?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is "reballing"?

Video GPU have solder balls that melt and go to the traces on the board. Sometimes when the chip gets hot the balls melt and do not connect to the traces. Reballing is taking the chip off the board with a Heat Gun and with a Jig they flow liquid solder into the holes in the Jig mounted on the chip and make new solder balls.

Some people reflow the solder but like was said about does not last very long in most cases.

To Iggy, I have not long ago seen Louis take a GPU off a DONER board and put it on the customers board and it fixed it. Apple is going too far telling people to throw out their still useable systems. Louis and another have been in court fighting apple and others and to allow 3rd parties to fix systems;

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great, thank you. I would never have guessed that Dennis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
mac only shop near me. I had great experience using them. check them out. I think they would do mail order repairs but I'm not certain. they been doing this for a long time and get good customer reviews.

MacMedics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.