• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Fed up with Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
I run a MacBookPro late 2011 edition Laptop and the graphic card has failed but on contacting Mac Support and their agents have been told they no longer support this version and will not be able to repair it! These machines are not cheap and mine with advanced memory etc even more expensive so I'm pretty p***** off that my machine now is worthless. OK so they no longer support early versions but what about hardware spares, why not supply them? I will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years! :Grimmace::Angry-Tongue::Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The MB Pro 2011 had a history of GPU failure. For that reason Apple had an extended repair program that has since ended. I have one of the late 2011’s and it was fine up until about 6 months ago. I now have three 1 pixel lines of different colors running along the right side of the screen. Since I only use it to capture live video I am okay with that. I get that your machine is maxed out as is mine so we both have considerable cost in them.

Anyway - your MB pro is 8 or 9 years old now. Nothing last forever. There are repair options. Here are a few I googled.

macbook pro 2011 graphics card replacement - Google Search

I have been told that the refurbished logic boards with refurbed GPUs that Apple used to fix the issue originally did not always last either.

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are beyond the warranty period, so no need to go back to Apple for repairs, you can stick to any local store to see if they can fix it. Your machine is considered vintage by Apple and there are no updates for it from the OS perspective.

Reaction score
... will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years!

You might want to consider one of these places to do your repairs for you:

MicroDoc
Microdoc - Apple Macintosh Parts and Repair

iFix Electronics
iFix Electronics - Electronics repair, Computer repair, iPhone repair, Game consoles repair

As for you being mad at Apple, I understand how you feel, but they aren't different than any other company. Most manufacturers of consumer goods offer parts for between 5 to 7 years after the date of manufacture, but they are usually under no legal obligation to do so for any set period. Auto manufacturers offer them for at least 10 years because the law requires it. Manufacturers of farm machinery are sometimes regulated by law too, but they rarely have to offer parts for more than 10 years.

It costs a fortune to stock and warehouse parts for decades worth of parts. Apple sunsets Macs that are older than 7 years:
Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that after 7 years that Apple sells off it's remaining inventory of parts for old Macs to wholesalers. So, it's not that old parts are strictly unavailable, it's just that you may have to go through a repair shop to get them. That's pretty much the case for any consumer product that is over about 7 years old.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think its a bit harsh to say that a 9 year old device has failed from the point of quality or longevity. There are not very many electrical devices that last any longer than that. I remind people that the now seemingly ubiquitous iPhone didn't even exist 10 years ago.
The industry standard suggests that if you get 5 years out of a computer you are doing well so 9 years is excellent.

Reaction score
I think its a bit harsh to say that a 9 year old device has failed from the point of quality or longevity. There are not very many electrical devices that last any longer than that. I remind people that the now seemingly ubiquitous iPhone didn't even exist 10 years ago.
The industry standard suggests that if you get 5 years out of a computer you are doing well so 9 years is excellent.

I agree with all that you've said, Rod.

However, Apple is starting to suffer, ironically, from their own high quality.

Macs have always been extremely reliable, superbly engineered computers. Lots of long-time Mac users will tell you that they replaced one or more old Macs because they just wanted a newer one, not because the old one wore out.

The limiting factor to a Mac's lifespan, in the past, typically was their rotating disk hard drive (if anything). RDHD's statistically become unreliable (i.e. likely to fail) after four years, and terribly unreliable after 5 years. Many Macs have come with SSD's (solid state hard drives) for a long time now. While an SSD can fail at anytime, just like a RDHD, they may also last as long as 20 years with no problems.

So, the thing is, since Macs have had really excellent performance for at least a decade now (really, better performance than most folks need for anything that your average user might do with their Mac), and since they no longer tend to fail due to an expired hard drive, users are holding onto their Macs for about twice as long as they used to. With so many users doing that, the *expectation* is that they will last almost indefinitely.

Ten to twenty years ago, if a Mac user complained that his or her ten year old Macintosh wasn't "supported" by Apple anymore, or that it was failing, everyone would probably have just said "well...yeah, so what?". Now users tend to expect their Macintosh to last almost indefinitely. it isn't economically viable for Apple to support old Macs forever, but users are starting to expect them to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Randy:

What amazes me is that just about any part that I need for my vintage Mustang (1998) is available thru various online wholesalers. RockAuto parts is one such wholesaler. :)

Reaction score
@Randy:

What amazes me is that just about any part that I need for my vintage Mustang (1998) is available thru various online wholesalers. RockAuto parts is one such wholesaler. :)

I know! That's because owners of those cars love them and keep them on the road forever.

But many of those parts aren't OEM. Because parts for vintage Mustangs are still in demand, reproductions are common.

I have a couple of old motorcycles that are the same way.

https://www.primoclassicsllc.com/galleria_images/298/298_main_l.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Very nice. I have a red iPhone, 'bout as close as I'm gonna get I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I run a MacBookPro late 2011 edition Laptop and the graphic card has failed but on contacting Mac Support and their agents have been told they no longer support this version and will not be able to repair it! These machines are not cheap and mine with advanced memory etc even more expensive so I'm pretty p***** off that my machine now is worthless. OK so they no longer support early versions but what about hardware spares, why not supply them? I will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years! :Grimmace::Angry-Tongue::Angry:

Hello bumbleboo. I know this is upsetting...and I know you probably paid a good amount of money for your 2011 MacBook Pro especially if you purchased it brand new.

Let's look at this from a different perspective...and maybe this will help. Not 100% sure what exact model 2011 MacBook Pro this is...but it's 9 years old...and here in the United States even if it was a top end 17" model...it would probably be worth around $400US. To repair a failed GPU...it very possibly would need a replacement logic board. Trust me...for most repair places for parts + labor it's going to cost more to have it repaired than it's current used value.

Your profile says you're in Germany...and maybe the value of used Apple computers is better in Germany than here in the US. If so...maybe it's worth it to get it repaired. But if the value is similar to here in the US...then maybe even if you could find a place to get it repaired...it may cost more than the computer is worth.

Something to consider,

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More than its worth, yes. More than the cost of replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Anyone have an electric kettle or toaster still going strong after nine years?

Most electrically driven machines that are constantly switched on and off with corresponding power surges, fail sooner than that.

I accept the huge price difference between these and computers, but as a generalisation, it’s true.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had my 2011 MBP repaired, repaired then replaced under the extended repair program which, I think, finished in 2015. The replacement was then...replaced!

To answer Ian, my kettles and toasters last about three years, but I am driving a nine-year-old Renault convertible.

krs

Reaction score
Your profile says you're in Germany...

I just read that the EU has passed a law (or is about to) that manufacturers like Apple have to make spare parts for repair available for 7 years - that law is supposed to become active some time in 2021. Much more stringent than what is required in Canada or the US, but still well short of 9 years.

I'm sometimes fed up with Apple as well (that's why I read the thread), but for totally different reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I just read that the EU has passed a law (or is about to) that manufacturers like Apple have to make spare parts for repair available for 7 years - that law is supposed to become active some time in 2021. Much more stringent than what is required in Canada or the US, but still well short of 9 years.

I'm sometimes fed up with Apple as well (that's why I read the thread), but for totally different reasons.

And the stupid UK is leaving the EU!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That video chipset issue was with the Nvidia GPU. It also happened on some PC laptops using that same Nvidia GPU. It's sad it happened but Apple did make it right for a long time. As old as that machine is it might be time for a new one. Either that or try a repair person like Louis Rossman in New York. He can fix anything!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not putting words in Dennis' mouth.... but I believe he was stating that the OP should find someone in Germany who could do repairs like Louis Rossman. You took Dennis' statement out of context.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also, people do send the guy in New York their Apple stuff not just from the USA. Just a heads up. There are others though like Louis Rossman in other areas and countries. He gives courses in Micro Soldering and people from all over have taken them.

Apple is NOT going to fix it for him so either you toss it in the bin or go to a professional if you like the machine and want it to work again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Here in the UK I find in my work that many users with failed GPU's on the 2011 15" MBP's will still have them repaired. The only option we have is to use a repairer who replaces the 6970M, but the 2 week TAT often puts them off and they buy new. Reflowing rarely lasts long, and boards that have previously been reflowed often have additional issues if the GPU is later replaced due to earlier application of excess heat.

It used to be that when an Apple product such as the 2011 15" MBP became vintage spares were no longer available from Apple unless they were also used on newer non vintage models. This later changed when the 2012 models became vintage, currently spares remain available until they are exhausted, Apple do not replenish stock. Only recently I've been fitting Apple supplied displays and top cases with batteries to 2012/13 15" MBPr's. Not all parts are still available, for instance Apple supplied Power supplies for the 2012 21.5" iMac have been exhausted for some time. Many users baulk at paying high prices for vintage Mac repairs, others still go-ahead with repairs with what I would think was an uneconomical repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.