Favicon

Reaction score
I personally cannot stand it when sites don't have a favicon, because when it is in my bookmarks, I have no icon to remind me what the site is about.

I post on numerous forums, and have a bookmarks tool bar solely for subscribed threads URL's, and without an icon, I have no idea what forum it leads me too.

If you don't know what a favicon is, read this. It's not needed, but it would be nice!

Thanks,
-Brendan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm guessing he doesn't see the MF favicon on his browser of choice. I do, although I don't see it on FF2 on my PC at work.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Yes, Baggss, you are correct. It doesn't show up for me in Firefox 2, nor does it in IE. As stated in the thread posted by Schweb, your icon is most likely cached by safari, unless you are using a different browser (in that case, my mistake).

Technologist, who posted that it was probably cached by Safari and posted a link to this software.

If you look at the file favicon.ico on these forums you get a 404 error, so it appears that the favicon file is not present.

schweb, do you know if the file is there or not? If it is, any idea why it isn't showing properly?

Thanks for posting that thread, and sorry for not digging up that thread. I did a search, but I had spelt it incorrectly, and when I wrote this thread I search wiki and found out the correct spelling, not realizing that I had incorrectly typed it in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Schweb, why don't you add the code as I suggested?
I don't see the favicon in any browser, on any platform.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Well, the file isn't present either, unless I am mistaken. The favicon in your thread appears to no longer be hosted either.

On another note, qiulio - your website/portfolio is extremely impressive. The fact that you were able to pull it off with no flash and such is awesome. I never knew it was possible.

The only suggestion I have is that you maybe make a more "business oriented" site, that doesn't require a large intro, or a large URL to access it. Something with minimal images, and just contains the content that is of importance. I personally think simpliscity would help you obtain more offers/work.

Just a friendly suggestion. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
^^^ I'll second that... or Third :D

I don't see the icon either :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just cleared my Safari cache and the favicon is still there. I also see it on IE on my PC at work.

You'd have to verify that url is actually where the favicon is located. It could be elsewhere.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Well, I believe to have the favicon file spread across all pages, you need to have it in the root directory unless you want to individually add it to each page.

Correct me if I am wrong, which I probably am. I've never really had a lot of experience with favicons, so I don't know.

I wonder why it would show up for some and not others? I just launched the latest version of IE to double check, and it still lacks a favicon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I believe to have the favicon file spread across all pages, you need to have it in the root directory unless you want to individually add it to each page.

Correct me if I am wrong, which I probably am. I've never really had a lot of experience with favicons, so I don't know.

I wonder why it would show up for some and not others? I just launched the latest version of IE to double check, and it still lacks a favicon.

Different forum software may put it in different directories. I know that IPB doesn't have it in the root directory. I can also tell you that the favicon for a site like iLounge is not in the root directory and that link for that site fails as well. I suspect the favicon is kept elsewhere within the board structure on the sever, but I could be wrong.

Either way, it IS odd that some of us can see it and some can not.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
I actually think the fact that there isn't a favicon nested in the root directory may be whats causing certain browsers not to read it.

Maybe schweb should place it there, just to "test the waters."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Schweb, why don't you add the code as I suggested?
I don't see the favicon in any browser, on any platform.

It's not I that can add the code. Adding a favicon is very simple code so that's not an issue. Only iNet has access to the servers and to be honest, we've had more pressing upgrade and enhancement needs than a favicon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brendan, since it was not implemented, I deleted my pretty pretty favicon.
Thank you for the compliments and constructive criticism. My site is tailored more towards design firms looking for a programmer. So it mainly a showcase of being able to push web technology while keeping stability. The large URL exists only while you are surfing, so that each page is appended to your browser's history and so that each page is bookmarkable. Hit reload at any time to see that functionality (or drag that long url to your desktop, then drag it back into the window). The url is quite short: webveteran.com. I had thought of dumping the intro, but it does show off something special: streaming animations through javascript.

MHC, A favicon does not have to reside in the root, be named 'favicon.ico', or even have the ico extension. With one exception. If you do not explicitly add the favicon code to your pages, IE will automagically look in the root to see if one exists... just for sport of hunting i suppose, and to clog up your server logs haha.

Schweb... what in the world can be more important than a favicon?? =)

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
MacHeadCase, did it work? If it's on MHC-in-the-box it is showing up for me on every page. Yay!

quilio, I see definitely see your point. I'm just used to hating animation so much, because flash takes time to load, but yours is quick and easy to handle. Again, very impressive.

However, if somebody does not decide to bookmark your site, but wants to give it a second look and cleared there history but remembered the root URL, they would have to watch the intro again. Maybe a skip intro button? It's not that big of an issue, but it would be nice.

M

MacHeadCase

Holy moly! I didn't change anything yet! It's only on my Mac then, looks like... :eek:

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
What is it supposed to look like? On your blog, I see what looks like 3 black boxes stacked on top of each other.

I checked, and it isn't in your root directory. favicons are touchy, apparently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great suggestion! Maybe i'll set a cookie. Any subsequent visits go right to the welcome page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.