Fault CR2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well it is on your computer and maybe the problem. Find Any File to the rescue?
The process "mds" is a system file and should not be removed. As I said, it does the indexing of the drive(s) for Spotlight and other search functions. So while FAF might *find* it, it should not, and probably cannot, be removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Jake we were referring to Cycling '74 which is a pretty old application that the OP did not know why it was on his Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I took it that the "it" was referring to what he said in Post #17:
Under the CPU-%CPU mds showed up to 115% bounced around for a little (110% or there abouts) then went down rather quickly to .1% When the mds went down the mds stores went to 110%. Then both went down.

That's the problem with unreferenced pronouns--one never knows exactly what "it" is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 'it' was quoted within the OP's response. #21.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I can only speak from my experience of working on these Mac Pro's. The majority of hardware faults I've seen have related to the video cards. Apple's propriety diagnostics will often pass, but colour grading with DaVinci Resolve Studio causes kernel panics, restarts, black screens or video artefacts. Most of these Mac Pro's I see are used for high end video production. We often have to substitute parts, then extensively test. One of the 2 video cards can be removed to aid diagnosis, but not the other with the SSD attached unless it's substituted. Other issues can be memory related, checked by substitution even if diagnostics pass the memory. These Mac Pro's can be very time consuming to work on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.