Family Sharing iCloud between 200GB and 2TB

Reaction score
Our family currently has a 2TB iCloud subscription set to Family Sharing. We are currently using a total 248.5GB between the four of us. Clearly this is too much for a 200GB plan, but far less than the current 2TB plan. Apple don’t seem to offer anything in between:

Australia3 (AUD)
50GB: $1.49
200GB: $4.49
2TB: $14.99
iCloud storage plans and pricing
When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. If you need more space in iCloud, you can upgrade to a larger storage plan.
support.apple.com

Is there any avenues to reduce our monthly cost? 2 x 200GB plans would be $9.98 ($5.01 saving per month) - is this possible to do and share the 400GB data pool?
Alternatively I think we‘ll have to look at individual (not Family Shared) subscriptions - 200GB or myself and I think 3 x 50GB for the other three - total cost $8.96 ($5.03 saving per month).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you're never going to need more "cloud" storage then either of those options would be more cost effective. But only you can decide if the $60 of savings per year are worth the cost.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Oh, this is such a personal issue.

Along with the inconvenience of your alternative plans, comes a saving of only $5 per month.

This is why it is so personal; but I would stick with the 2TB and use the extra space to backup/store other data from your family's various computers and other iDevices.

Again, so personal; but $14.99 per month shared amongst the family for the 2TB option, seems to me a very reasonable investment. But I don't know your fiscal constraints. Sorry.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
If you're never going to need more "cloud" storage

I certainly don't see needing any more in the short term (we use Microsoft OneDrive as they provide 1TB free per family member with the Office 365 subscription - so far I've found it significantly faster in it's upload speed than iCloud on my Mac so I can't see a reason to change over). I'd assume if I did ever need more it would be as simple as upping the plan again?

But only you can decide if the $60 of savings per year are worth the cost.

Well yes, while the amount isn't huge it just seems pointless to be paying more for a service beyond what is needed or going to be used.

either of those options would be more cost effective.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't very clear in my question, I wasn't so much seeking financial advise about the pathways, but rather if they're possible to actually do - i.e. can I purchase 2 x 200GB iCloud data plans and family share them or can only one plan be shared so I would need to use multiple smaller individual plans instead?

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, this is such a personal issue.

This is why it is so personal; but I would stick with the 2TB and use the extra space to backup/store other data from your family's various computers and other iDevices.

Again, so personal; but $14.99 per month shared amongst the family for the 2TB option, seems to me a very reasonable investment. But I don't know your fiscal constraints. Sorry.

Yes, while the financial side is perhaps a personal issue it's not really what I was asking about - perhaps I was unclear in my original query about what I was trying to find out information about. I'm seeking to know if it is possible to combine the lower tiers at all - either grouped for family sharing (e.g. purchase 2 x 200GB plans) or can family sharing members each hold their own plans to suit their needs (either shared or not shared)?

P.S. if it's of any concern it's not about the finances and there is no significant fiscal constraint from continuing to maintain the 2TB plan, it's more the principle of it in that I just don't see why I'd pay for a service beyond what I intend to use - I'm currently using 1/8th and that's not likely to fluctuate much - so why pay for the other 7/8th on an ongoing basis every month for who knows how long? What's the point? What benefit is gained by spending the additional 30%?
Apples data tiers are strange - only 5GB free, then the first tier is 10 times larger (50GB), the next is only 4 times larger (200GB) then 10 times again (2TB) leaving a huge gap between the two tiers - potentially a marketing strategy designed to push most into the top tier beyond what will often be needed to secure the additional revenue?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
can I purchase 2 x 200GB iCloud data plans

As far as my understanding is concerned, you as an individual cannot purchase more than one data plan.

Each family member could purchase a data plan (assuming they all have individual Apple IDs).

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Each family member could purchase a data plan (assuming they all have individual Apple IDs).

Thanks. Any idea if they can all share the purchased plans on the family sharing or can only one be shared?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dashed good question!

I'm not sure, but my gut feeling is that each could share their own data plan; BUT not as a combined amount (ie not as 200 + 50 + 50 + 50, making 350 for everyone to share).

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Dashed good question!

I'm not sure, but my gut feeling is that each could share their own data plan; BUT not as a combined amount (ie not as 200 + 50 + 50 + 50, making 350 for everyone to share).

Ian
That is exactly correct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.