Failure. Of both iMacs to connect to wi-fi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Our iPads & iPhones are successfully connecting to wi-Fi so router is working. Neither of our iMacs are however. Can anybody suggest why this might be please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iF the iPads & iPhones are connecting ok…that would seem to indicate that the your WiFi router is doing fine. Since two iMac's are not connecting that is curious. Since two computers at the same time having an issue would certainly not be something random.

Has anything been done to the iMac's recently?

- Have they been moved to a different location (further from the router)?
- Did both of them have new software installed recently?
- Did both of them have any sort of OS upgrade or update done recently?

It would seem that something must have been done to both iMac's recently…that has to be responsible for the problem.

* Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also if you can, upgrade to 10.10.4. .3 still had the new WiFi stack that Apple ditched in .4 and went back to MDSNResponder. The other one had many WiFi issues for some people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also if you can, upgrade to 10.10.4. .3 still had the new WiFi stack that Apple ditched in .4 and went back to MDSNResponder. The other one had many WiFi issues for some people.

Ahhh yes… the Yosemite wifi hassles!!! I keep forgetting about them and avoided them staying with Mavericks 10.9.5. ;)

A good suggestion, but strange as Nick mentioned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updating to the 10.10.4 would be a great place to start.:)

Gonna be strange if the OP has been:

- Using 10.10.3 for a while…and now the WiFi problem started.
- Or…if the OP just did update to 10.10.4…and this is when the problem started.

What & see what we learn.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never seemed to have the wifi issues but it did with 10.10.0 take a long time to change networks. My friend has a 2012 MBP and his Wifi went nuts with Yosemite. Slowed down, dropped connection. I am glad apple went back to the old stack.

To the OP, are you still running 10.10.3?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. As you see I have installed the update having got wi-fi back by replacing my latest wi-fi router, provided by my ISP, with its predecessor consisting of an ethernet router connected to a Buffalo Air Station.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. As you see I have installed the update having got wi-fi back by replacing my latest wi-fi router, provided by my ISP, with its predecessor consisting of an ethernet router connected to a Buffalo Air Station.

So you're saying you updated the iMac's to 10.10.4 and installed a new router from your ISP…and now the problem is solved?

I'm assuming you installed the router first…got the WiFi working on the iMac's…then updated to 10.10.4. If so...sounds like something was "quirky" with the old WiFi setup.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you're saying you updated the iMac's to 10.10.4 and installed a new router from your ISP…and now the problem is solved?

I'm assuming you installed the router first…got the WiFi working on the iMac's…then updated to 10.10.4. If so...sounds like something was "quirky" with the old WiFi setup.

- Nick
Well actually I disconnected the newest router which is where the problem arose and reinstalled its predecessor which worked, then downloaded 10.10.4.

You may wonder why I changed from the previous setup in the first place. It had been requiring to be turned off and on again too frequently so I ordered a 'free' wifi router from my ISP.

I will probably buy a new wifi router. Any advice on the best would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be inclined to suggest using one of the latest Airport Express units for a new wifi router.

Very easy to setup and maintain and they provide great performance in my experience.
And Apple recently lowered the price which is a nice bonus. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be inclined to suggest using one of the latest Airport Express units for a new wifi router.

Very easy to setup and maintain and they provide great performance in my experience.
And Apple recently lowered the price which is a nice bonus. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought an Airport Express unit on eBay which was advertised as having a DSL connection. There is no DSL port, only an Ethernet port. Have I been misled or do I need something else?

I could connect to existing speed touch router but that rather defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know which AEx model you bought but the ebay seller sure sounds like a good snake oil salesperson!! And maybe a bit of misunderstanding on terminology etc. ;P

Looks like the fault is mine as there is no mention of a DSL connection. 2+ questions:
1. If I buy an Airport Card will that solve the problem and is it easy to fit?
2. Is Airport Utility automatically in the Yosemite OS X and, if so, How do I know if I have Airport Utility v5.5.1 or later?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Yosemite, but the Airport Utility.app should be in your Utility folder and your Airport Express should show up if connected and powered up when using the application.

If you're running Yosemite, your Mac is new enough that it will already have an Airport Card installed as they all have for many years now.

When running Airport Utility, clicking the "About Airport Utility" under it's name in the menu will tell you what version it is, just like any other all will. Or do a Get Info in the Finder on the Airport Utility application icon.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Yosemite, but the Airport Utility.app should be in your Utility folder and your Airport Express should show up if connected and powered up when using the application.

If you're running Yosemite, your Mac is new enough that it will already have an Airport Card installed as they all have for many years now.

When running Airport Utility, clicking the "About Airport Utility" under it's name in the menu will tell you what version it is, just like any other all will. Or do a Get Info in the Finder on the Airport Utility application icon.

I have now found an e-mail from the seller stating that his Airport Express had a dsl connection so I hope to be able to return it.

If so do the latest Airport Express wifi routers have a dsl connection, i.e. include a modem. Also do they only have one ethernet connection. I want to be able to connect my TP link and, if the later models include a dsl, modem and ethernet connection.

Since connecting the Airport Express neither of our wifi printers will work wirelessly although they work via usb.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now found an e-mail from the seller stating that his Airport Express had a dsl connection so I hope to be able to return it.

If so do the latest Airport Express wifi routers have a dsl connection, i.e. include a modem. Also do they only have one ethernet connection. I want to be able to connect my TP link and, if the later models include a dsl, modem and ethernet connection.

Since connecting the Airport Express neither of our wifi printers will work wirelessly although they work via usb.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit blunt, but I'm not really understanding what your actual problem is but in all honesty, I don't think you understand how the Airport Express wifi routers actually work nor the difference between the connection methods they use for connecting a DSL or cable modem, or for connecting to an existing Ethernet network.

Maybe read the Airport Express manual for connection options and methods, or post back with a question we can understand.

Reading these may help:
https://www.apple.com/ca/airport-express/specs/
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANU...irport_express_80211n_2nd_gen_setup_guide.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.