factory reset

Reaction score
I have been trying to do a complete 'factory reset' on a 2008 MacBook which originally came with OS X Snow Leopard - in order to pass it on to a new user. I had eventually upgraded to El Capitan & replaced the HDD with an SSD. I have successfully followed instructions to erase the disk & re-installed Snow Leopard, then moved on up to El Capitan, using my Apple id/credentials to sign in & download/install. I understand that I should be able to roll back via 'recovery mode' to a fresh install of El Capitan with none of my personal details but each time I try to achieve this I encounter problems at the macOS utilities stage. I get a message showing the hard drive & an exclamation mark & cannot go any further. I have noticed that when in disk utilities there are 4 entries (as shown in the attached photos). I understand that I should be erasing the actual disk which is the very first entry & not the indented one – or the lower ones. However in this view on another Mac I use, it only shows the actual SSD & then indented is 'MacOS'. Any help would be very welcome as I have now tried this several times with no success. I must be doing something wrong but not sure what, yet! Thanks in advance. IMG_20210213_173810318.jpeg IMG_20210213_173820371.jpeg IMG_20210213_173831583.jpeg IMG_20210213_173840611.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In Disk Utility, make sure you have enabled the option to Show all devices in the View menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I cannot make out anything from your images as they are too small and when I blow them up they get too fuzzy to read. However, you cannot format the drive from which you are booted. You either have to boot to Recovery Mode, or boot from an external drive.

Here is a link to the Apple directions on what to do to prep a machine for transfer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

and

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.