FaceTime problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
When I am alerted to a FaceTime call my iPhone rings and I am able to have a FaceTime conversation (voice and video) on my iPhone. However I am unable to answer the call on my iMac or MacBook. There is a visual alert, i.e. a 1 appears on the FaceTime icon in the dock but there is no sound alert and nothing appears on the screen of either Mac to click on to accept the call. It all worked properly previously but I don’t know when it stopped working as I don’t make or receive many FaceTime calls. My daughter FaceTimed me today and that is when the problem appeared. We tried connecting by me calling her but exactly the same problem. I tested it further by getting my wife to FaceTime me from her iPhone but the same problem occurred.

MacBook Air M1 2020 Big Sur 11.4
iMac 21.5” late 2012 Catalina 10.15.7
iPhone SE Gen. 1. iOS 14.6
My wife’s iPhone is the same as mine.
My daughter’s MacBook is the same as mine.
My daughter has an iPhone but haven’t asked for the spec.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
I’ve sorted it! I did the following: On a Mac click Apple logo, top left of screen. Click System Preferences. Click Notifications. In the window that appears click on FaceTime and check ‘Allow Notification in FaceTime' is Blue (not greyed out) and click accordingly. Then, just below that ‘FaceTime alert style’ select ‘Alerts’. I can now receive FaceTime calls on my iPhone, iMac and MacBook. Now, why it suddenly stopped working, I have no idea. Maybe a glitch when I did an update? Who knows? Very frustrating experience, but got there eventually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.