External web camera - picture distorted - High Sierra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2011 13", Time capsule, iPhone 6+, iPhone XS
So I have a web camera which shows up as "UVC General", as many webcams do. Mac OS has built in drivers for these webcams, so its "Plug´n play".

But I get the camera picture divided into two screens, an upper and a lower half, the lower half is just garbage and the upper half shows the webcam picture, but with a reduced quality and with pixelation. I have chosen the correct screen setting to show only one screen, but it still shows it like that. The lower screen sometimes shows just a green screen, and sometimes it shows a frozen picture of the upper screen, but all blurry.
And there is virtually no settings to adjust that could make a difference?

This happens with both Photo Booth and on the 3 other third party softwares that I have tried.
On Windows 7/10 it shows a normal screen. So that tells me its not the camera, but something with Mac OS X?

Anybody has an idea whats going on here? Since OS X has the drivers and the camera shows up it should work normally, so I have no idea what could be causing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More info is needed: Which web camera are you using? Version of macOS?

And is your Mac still the Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2011 13", Time capsule, iPhone 6+, iPhone XS
More info is needed: Which web camera are you using? Version of macOS?

And is your Mac still the Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro?

Its Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.6), and the computer is a MBP late 2011 13". I dont have too much info about the camera sensor, because its actually a USB microscope, that uses a webcam sensor, so Mac OS sees it as a webcam, and also webcam softwares are used for viewing the image. System information says:

General UVC
Product ID: 0xf12a
Vendor ID: 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: GENERAL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On Windows 7/10 it shows a normal screen. So that tells me its not the camera, but something with Mac OS X?

Anybody has an idea whats going on here? Since OS X has the drivers and the camera shows up it should work normally, so I have no idea what could be causing this?

It sounds very much like a driver hardware problem. Although macOS High Sierra sees it as a webcam, it really isn't a webcam and as such, is not displaying correctly.

I've run into situations where certain hardware worked fine in Windows but not macOS. I've also seen it in the reverse.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer support and ask?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.