External hd or upgrade to ssd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro
I have an early 2011 MBP,17" with 500gb hard drive. I am running out of space. Been thinking of either buying an external drive, which is the cheaper option, or going and upgrading to a ssd,more expensive,but performance will be way better. Wanted to ask, what are some good external drives and how about ssd's,what are some good ones? Want to get something where I am ot going to have to worry about running out of space again. Thanks for the help. John.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other World Computing (Mac Sales) sells both types of drives and has some of the best performing SSDs available for your MBP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. I will check them out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I have an early 2011 MBP,17" with 500gb hard drive. I am running out of space. Been thinking of either buying an external drive, which is the cheaper option, or going and upgrading to a ssd,more expensive,but performance will be way better. Wanted to ask, what are some good external drives and how about ssd's,what are some good ones? Want to get something where I am ot going to have to worry about running out of space again. Thanks for the help. John.

I have a 2012 13" MBP and it came with only 4 GB RAM. It was incredibly pokey with Mavericks so I upgraded to 8 GB RAM and the speed noticeably increased but I still wasn’t happy. I bought a Crucial 240 GB SSD and the machine is now lightening fast. Also, I have a WD My Passport 1 T USB HD and it works great. I had used it for a backup for the MBP but I now have a Time Capsule so it has become auxiliary storage.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro
I have a 2012 13" MBP and it came with only 4 GB RAM. It was incredibly pokey with Mavericks so I upgraded to 8 GB RAM and the speed noticeably increased but I still wasn’t happy. I bought a Crucial 240 GB SSD and the machine is now lightening fast. Also, I have a WD My Passport 1 T USB HD and it works great. I had used it for a backup for the MBP but I now have a Time Capsule so it has become auxiliary storage.

How is the WD My Passport? Was looking at these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I'm happy with the Passport HD

How is the WD My Passport? Was looking at these.

I am happy with the Passport. It has worked flawlessly for me. It is only USB 2 though so it isn't as fast as an USB 3 or FireWire HD would be. I haven't shopped for an external drive for a year now so I really don't know what is now available and for how much.

Update:

I just checked Amazon.com and found WD My Passport for Mac 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 with Free Shipping for $69. Seems like a good deal to me. I paid $99 a year and a half ago for the USB 2 model.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Most of the brick and mortar places will match online prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.