External Graphics card Upgrade??

Reaction score
Hello all, just bought my first Macbook Pro, I am fairly acquainted and have some small knowledge of Macs, however not much. I have a late 2008 model and am wanting a better graphics processor (mine is only a 256MB) I would like at least a 1GB processor but was told I would not be able to upgrade my internal drive. So I was wondering what kind of external graphics processor (if any) would be good to get? Also is there any special process that I need to go through to make said drive work with my machine? And if so, what would be this process?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all, just bought my first Macbook Pro, I am fairly acquainted and have some small knowledge of Macs, however not much.

Using the terms "fairly acquainted" and "some small knowledge of Mac's, however not much" is confusing.

- "Fairly aquatinted" means someone has a lot of knowledge.
- "Some small knowledge of Mac's, however not much" means someone does not have much knowledge.

These two terms cannot be used in the same sentence. Someone either has a lot of knowledge or they don't have a lot of knowledge.

Maybe you are "fairly aquatinted" with something…but you did not spell that out specifically in this post.:)

I have a late 2008 model and am wanting a better graphics processor (mine is only a 256MB) I would like at least a 1GB processor but was told I would not be able to upgrade my internal drive.

What does the speed of the graphics processor and upgrading the internal drive…have to do with each other??…they are not related.

So I was wondering what kind of external graphics processor (if any) would be good to get?

I personally am not aware of anyone using an external graphic processor with a 2008 MacBook Pro.

Also is there any special process that I need to go through to make said drive work with my machine? And if so, what would be this process?

Again. Not sure how an external graphics processor and upgrading the internal drive have to do with each other. They are two very different pieces of hardware.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I am familiar with basic terms and how to operate The Mac OS. I need a better graphics card if possible. If i cannot get a better (graphics card or graphics processor?) installed internally I have heard of people getting external ones. I am not hardware-savy, so you will have to excuse my blatant ignorance, im just curious as to what my options are on upgrading from a 256MB processor to a 1GB.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If i cannot get a better (graphics card or graphics processor?) installed internally I have heard of people getting external ones. I am not hardware-savy, so you will have to excuse my blatant ignorance, im just curious as to what my options are on upgrading from a 256MB processor to a 1GB.

Here's the deal.

- Firstly. I do not know of anyone or heard of anyone using an external graphics card with any Apple computer. This does not mean no one is doing it…it's just a very very rare thing to do. In the "Windows World"…this may be something that's much more common.

- Second. There's the cost factor. Your 2008 MacBook Pro is probably worth about $250 bucks. Solutions for an external graphics card to use with a MacBook Pro will probably cost $300+ for a more DIY solution (buy a Thunderbolt box & purchase a video card)…and upwards of $589 for a "Plug & Play" solution. For example:

https://bizon-tech.com

The main reasons (in my humble opinion) why more folks don't use an external graphics card with their portable Apple notebook computers are:

- The portable Apple computer is no longer portable (at least while connected to the external graphics).
- The relatively high cost of an external graphics setup.
- Other options (Windows box or a used Mac Pro).

The question is…what's the goal of this project? What exactly do you want to do with your 2008 MacBook Pro (with external graphics)?

Depending on the answer…maybe there's a better solution than an external graphics setup (maybe one already suggested)…or another one.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
In addition to what Nick said and just some FYI:

The Graphic card with it's own GPU processor runs the screen output. The 256MB on the card is to help the GPU process the images you see. The larger that number is the more "room" the GPU has to manipulate the output data. If the GPU does not have enough "room" it will use some of the computer's system memory.

I have a lot of extensive experience with PCs and I have never used and external Graphics card. That card needs and works best when attached to the motherboard(PC)/logic board(Mac) to be fast and effective. The use of a Thunderbolt box with a 2008 Macbook would not be cost effective and would not give you the results you want.

As to internal storage - which is your hard drive that holds all your apps and data - yes, that can be updated. I have a 2009 Macbook and I have updated the system memory and installed a SSD drive. It breathed new life into an old mac. Keep in mind whatever upgrades you make you still are working with a 2008 logic board that has it's limits too.

So if you are trying to get better performance out of a 2008 Macbook Pro the options are to upgrade the system memory and change out the hard drive with a new SSD drive. If that is what you are looking for post back your questions and either I or Nick can make recommendations. Keep in mind it is an older machine and you need to consider what it is worth versus a new computer.

Also check out ifixit.com. That may help give you a picture of what is possible.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.