External drive MyBook issue

janlewis

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which section to ask this question but I have an issue with at attached external drive. A 10TB MyBook.
I can see the drive in my network but sometimes, it appears to be empty. No folders or content.
Logging in and out doesn't resolve it but restarting the mac (mini 2018) does. I can then see all the folders and content on the drive.
Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, it won't eject - ever - but says it is 'being used' when I'm fairly sure it isn't.
Any ideas please?
Many thanks
Jan

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How is the MyBook connected to the Mac? Over a network or locally through an USB connection? This determines how you'd access the data.

The bit about restarting the Mac and seeing the missing data is bit confusing.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is this an NAS (Network Attached Storage), connected to your computer via your home WiFi network?

OP
J

janlewis

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for your questions (sorry I was away for a few days).

The drive is connected via usb, directly to a usb port on the mac mini body.

Sorry about the restart being confusing. I'm not sure if it's relevant but I'll try and explain it again... when I restart the mac with the drive attached, I can see the folders and work on it. A few days later, I will try and copy or retrieve something from one of those folders and I don't see them. I see the drive but it appears to be empty. I can't eject the drive either. But if I restart the mac, the files and folders show on the drive.
I could do an experiment and check the drive daily or at regular intervals and see if I can determine at what point it stops showing the contents. Meanwhile, any other suggestions gratefully received.

krs

Reaction score
I had a situation similar to this with an external 2TB drive connected to my Mac Mini.
Using a different USB cable resolved the problem for me, something I would suggest you try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can also use something like Amphetamine to "tickle" the drive every once in a while. That is called "Drive Alive" in Amphetimine and serves to keep the drives from going to "sleep" from inactivity.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I had a situation similar to this with an external 2TB drive connected to my Mac Mini.
Using a different USB cable resolved the problem for me, something I would suggest you try.
not wanting to high jack this thread. i had the same, problem and replacing the cable resolved the problems. thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.