Extensive problems with Windows Media Player 9

K

KevinOnKeys

Hi all.

I am running OS X.2.8 on an iMac G3 500Mhz.

I was having so many problems opening downloaded .wmv files that I finally searched for upgrades and found version 9 of Windows Media Player, but upon install and attempting to use it to play back files I've downloaded from the web, I keep getting the same lousy error message: "cannot open the file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again"

Now, I can use 9 to open other .wmv files I have, it's specifically the ones I'm downloading that won't work (off of Limewire). 9 out of 10 give this message!

I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it, repairing permissions, etc......I even tried alternative video playback programs for OS X and they wouldn't work either, so???????

None of the forums or MS known issues guides have been of any help.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can just e-mail directly at [email protected].

Thanks!

Kevin K.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
KevinOnKeys said:
Hi all.

I am running OS X.2.8 on an iMac G3 500Mhz.

I was having so many problems opening downloaded .wmv files that I finally searched for upgrades and found version 9 of Windows Media Player, but upon install and attempting to use it to play back files I've downloaded from the web, I keep getting the same lousy error message: "cannot open the file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again"

Now, I can use 9 to open other .wmv files I have, it's specifically the ones I'm downloading that won't work (off of Limewire). 9 out of 10 give this message!

I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it, repairing permissions, etc......I even tried alternative video playback programs for OS X and they wouldn't work either, so???????

None of the forums or MS known issues guides have been of any help.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can just e-mail directly at [email protected].

Thanks!

Kevin K.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Yes, Windows Media Player 9 for Mac just plain doesn't work most of the time. In most cases it is due to the lack of a needed video/audio codec. There are much better alternatives, (MPlayer OSX, VLC) I would suggest giving VersionTracker a visit for one of these players.

Good luck with your Pr0n!!!!

:D ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
anarkhy 17 said:
what did you expect from a microsucks program. :confused:
Thank you anarkhy. We can always count on you to be unhelpful.

...VLC plays Windows Media files? I didn't know that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Absolute Zero said:
VLC plays Windows Media files? I didn't know that...

Yes, VLC does play windows media files. VLC is just plain amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.