Extending iPhone ring time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I've searched this site yet could not find a topic about this.

Can someone tell me how to extend the ring time from Apple's default ring time of about 20 seconds to something a little longer in order to give me some time to get to my phone before it goes to voicemail?

And I've looked on the net and there are few sites discussing this that I'd trust, but before I type in a bucnh of hashtags and strange numbers.....I thought I'd come here first to see if there is an easier way to do this.

And why Apple doesn't have this option in their settings is beyond me...... but a lot of what Apple comes up with is usually beyond me anyways! ;-)

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can someone tell me how to extend the ring time from Apple's default ring time of about 20 seconds to something a little longer in order to give me some time to get to my phone before it goes to voicemail?

Buy an Apple Watch and wear it at all times.

Not the answer you're looking for? :p

Seriously, I believe the number of rings prior to voice mail depends more on your carrier and the ring tone you select than it does on an Apple default setting.

My wife's phone has an old fashioned ring tone from T-Mobile (T-Jingle) and it will ring like forever before she answers it. Drives me nuts. LOL

My phone has a ring tone that I copied from a free site and it will ring for a short time before it goes to voice mail. I believe the default number of rings is set by your carrier not Apple. So a long ring tone will actually activate for a longer period of time even though the number of rings might be the same.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buy an Apple Watch and wear it at all times.

Not the answer you're looking for? :p

Seriously, I believe the number of rings prior to voice mail depends more on your carrier and the ring tone you select than it does on an Apple default setting.

My wife's phone has an old fashioned ring tone from T-Mobile (T-Jingle) and it will ring like forever before she answers it. Drives me nuts. LOL

My phone has a ring tone that I copied from a free site and it will ring for a short time before it goes to voice mail. I believe the default number of rings is set by your carrier not Apple. So a long ring tone will actually activate for a longer period of time even though the number of rings might be the same.

Hey chscag!

Nope....I'm not the type to wear an Apple watch. It wouldn't handle the abuse I put either my Seiko or Luminox watches through...plus both only need a new battery about every 5 years..... and both watches are going strong after over 10 years.

I've researched this and there are solutions....by dialing up a bunch of **'s and and a two digit number...then you get a 12-15 digit number to enter with the number of seconds (up to 30) at the end of the number to extend your ring time.

Even the Apple forum has this "solution" on it but I just do not find too much GOOD info on the Apple-based support forums....that is why I come here.

Most info of what I've found out there tell me that your carrier doesn't have control over how long your ring times are until it goes to voice mail....and it is very dependent on you carrier.... so I was just hoping that someone here who has done the dial *66*.etc, etc, etc has done it successfully and can tell me it is legit.

Why Apple doesn't give US the choice of extending it in their Settings is beyond me. A lot of what Apple does is beyond me....but that's another post for another day.

To be truthful, even after just getting a new battery replaced in my iPhone X yesterday.... I am about ready to invest in a $50.00 burner phone and just toss this one.... out of 256 GB of space on this phone, I still have 230GB space left. That should tell you something. :cool: I just need something to make an occasional call...and that's about it.

Thanks for the input..... I'll keep looking.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Anything you can control by dialing will be adjusting your account with the carrier, not with the phone itself. You might try contacting tech support for your provider to see what they have to say.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Here in the UK, it is the carrier that determines the length of time the ringing lasts. I have been with Vodafone in the past and am currently with O2.

When I get a new iPhone, I go into their shop and they take the phone and apply a "coded number" to it to extend the ringing time from 15 sec to 30 secs.

Most recently, this carrier (O2), has made public its code. This allows the ring to extend beyond 30 secs at the expense of Voicemail. 1760 turns off Voicemail and 1750 turns it back on again.

Ian

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, guys! I found a fix for this!

There are several videos on YouTube and this particular 'fix' worked for me. Some commenters did not have any luck with it...but notably several from OZ were super pleased...so it does work in other countries other than the US. The video does stress that it may not work with all carriers or all versions of iPhones or iOS's.. but thankfully it did work for me.

Some people were able to extend their ring times to 30 seconds but their Voice Mails didn't work. I've checked mine three times now and my VM DOES work. Your mileage may vary!

Here's the sequence:

Go to make a call and type in: *#61#
Press the call button.
Write down the number shown (BUT EXCLUDE THE COUNTRY number (here in the US that is the 1!) Exclude it (for some in the comments, though, they had to enter the number to get this to work...but very few had to).

Then enter **61* and the phone number you wrote down, followed by**30#.

{I live north of ATL, GA and the number was a local number in my area}

This is what it will look like: **61*1234567890**30#

Press call.

Another page will pop up....hit DISMISS at the bottom of the screen...and that's it! The whole process takes about a minute or so.

Then call your number, time it (I set mine for 30) and see if it works for you. Make sure your voice mail still comes on. If it doesn't, you may have to reset your time to the original default 20 seconds.

And realize that this video (and me too) do not guarantee this will will work...and there weren't any suggestions on his video of what to do if your voice mail 'disappears'.

But I always do not have my phone on my person, and I think now I won't miss as many calls having an extra 10 seconds to get to my phone.

Remember, your mileage may vary. If you do not want to try this, you may be able to get your particular cellphone carrier to adjust this for you. Mileage varies there too, or from what I've read it does. I was willing to take a gamble on this and it worked for me. I had done this with my previous iPhone 6 and 8 and it worked well for me then too (but I am sure the symbols and numbers were different way back then).

Here is the YouTube link:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the info. Seems easy enough to do if you wish to have a longer ring time.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Having an Apple Watch and wearing it all the time works for me so it's not really a silly solution. I can even answer the call on the watch if I can't get to my phone in time as well as this Apple offers couple of other options;
Answer using your iPhone or send a text message instead: Tap
the More button
, then tap an option. If you tap Answer on iPhone, the call is placed on hold and the caller hears a repeated sound until you answer on your paired iPhone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having an Apple Watch and wearing it all the time works for me so it's not really a silly solution.

I already suggested that to "p_rod", but like me he has no desire to buy an Apple watch. My old Timex is still going strong. Just needs a new battery every three years or so.

Yeah, I know... it's not smart, but then, neither am I. :p

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I was supporting your suggestion. It works for me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.