• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

eWeek: Why is the Mac more Secure than Windows?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
intersting article. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I got to "Certainly, we can all agree that Mac users hate Windows. On the other hand, most Windows users hate the Macintosh and, moreover, Mac users.", which is like, the 2nd paragraph, and gave up.

I doubt if he's saying anything new.

Reaction score
The guy only skims the surface about Windows running as root all the time. That is the chief reason windows is so easy to crack. Unix basics like file permissions and root/user schemes never even get discussed in these articles, no wonder there is so much confusion about Mac security. Even the "experts" don't seem to understand it. Also, the guy claims programmers don't want to write viruses for Mac, I think that is BS. The person who finds a good Mac exploit is going to be very famous. I would not be surprised if companies like Symantec and Microsoft didn't have paid employees put to the task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Could someone explain what he meant by the following sentence? "The Mac is the most homogeneous computing platform in the world." I don't understand the use of "homogeneous" in that context. :\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am a Mac user and love OSX, but I do not hate Windows 2k, XP. I guess I am strange! :D

I just like OSX more for most of what I do.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Could someone explain what he meant by the following sentence? "The Mac is the most homogeneous computing platform in the world." I don't understand the use of "homogeneous" in that context. :\

Homogenous. Look at definition #1, I think it will explain it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I don't hate windows either. Why are people so one sided when it comes to OS X vs Windows? I use windows for programming/webdesign/gamming. OS X for school/browsing/chatting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I don't like the writing style, its like he launched in trying to be punchy but didn't really develop a good piece of work. The further the piece gets the more he slips in some small, yet balanced points - which is good to see

I agree with you, travis and Anthony - I like a lot of platforms but its all just personal choice

To a certain extent it can be personal choice if you even get a virus, he was talking about security of the OS but still - comments on windows users being very angry at the idea that mac OS X is more secure. Also talking about mac users being naive about security - Is that still around? I remember it being a right old laugh a few years ago. We are all naive in some aspects!

Its like the whole every mac user is stuck up, these are usually people who have had bad experiences with other platforms or just not socially adept enough to have a balanced opinion

Same with windows users, its yet another extreme that this article is playing around with - I have a nice anti-virus, i'm not foaming at the mouth in anger with the idea that a mac user has it more like an option to run anti-virus software (You should have an anti-virus for mac to protect windows users, right? I can't remember)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.