ethernet connection type is not listed in network tab

Reaction score
in my macbook air's network tab "ethernet" is not listed as the network option apart from wifi, bluetooth etc. please advise how to add the same since I want to connect to a network using ethernet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the macbook air does not have an ethernet connection. If you look you will not see a port for the cable on it.

That would certainly explain it!:) Definitely great advice to "check your ports" before yelling for help!;)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you Iclev and Pigoo3. I know there is not ethernet port on MBA. I have purchased one usb 2 fast ethernet connector. Now, I have installed its drivers from the CD. Tomorrow I will check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
in my macbook air's network tab "ethernet" is not listed as the network option apart from wifi, bluetooth etc. please advise how to add the same since I want to connect to a network using ethernet.

Hello - I bought a MBPro about 2 years ago which is used mainly in my den on Wi-Fi for internet connection; but at the same time I purchased a Moshi USB-Ethernet adapter (see pic below), thinking that I might get faster speeds directly connected to my AP Extreme router (if needed), or more importantly if my laptop's Wi-Fi radio broke, I could still connect to the internet.

Well, I tried the device initially and seemed to work fine (cannot remember having to install any drivers) - just gave it another try, i.e. direct ethernet port from my router to the Moshi device and into a USB port on the laptop. The second pic below shows my network w/ Wi-Fi attached (the USB-Ethernet is showing up because of my initial use, I assume); well, turned off the Wi-Fi, and the ethernet to USB connection worked fine (3rd pic). SO, should be an easy process for you - good luck and let us know. Dave :)

P.S. deleted my personal info so some blanks in the last couple of pics.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 1.16.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 1.10.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 1.11.36 PM.png

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the usb 2 ethernet installation guide (file attached) I have installed drivers from the accompanying CD with the usb 2 ethernet cable. After restarting the MBA and connecting the LAN cable using the usb 2 ethernet connector, I was connected to the LAN. Before that, I have manually entered the IP address and DNS servers.

Thank you all for the support.

Vinay

View attachment 04-0641a.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.