Error message when opening .numbers or .pages files in shared folder

DonCamillo

Reaction score
I've been attempting to create a public folder to share and edit files between two iMacs. Both user accounts have read/write permissions within the shared folder, but when trying to open .numbers or .pages files within this folder on the non-hosting Mac, I receive the error message: file.numbers [or .pages] is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.

Both Macs are using the same updated versions of Numbers and Pages. And when I tried testing a .png, it opened correctly on both.

I'm not sure why the other Mac is unable to open these files. I've read that the above error message can result from Apple flagging a file for security reasons and that there is a means of overriding this. But if this is the case, it wouldn't be practical to perform an override each time a file needs to be opened.

Any insight or advice regarding a fix so .numbers and .pages files can be easily accessed and edited from within the shared folder or an alternative way of doing so is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Where is this public folder being created? What exact iMacs are involved and what are the versions of macOS? How are they connected? What versions of Pages and Numbers, exactly? Do you have an iCloud Drive account that might be used to share?

OP
D

DonCamillo

Reaction score
Thank you! Today I tried using the collaborate feature and everything does appear to be working properly, so thank you for that suggestion!

Regarding the actual file sharing, I updated both iMacs -- 27" 2019 i5 & 27" 2020 i5 -- to 13.2.1 and it seems to be encountering a completely different issue where the joining user's Finder locks up trying to connect until the host user disables file sharing in System Prefs.

I'd like to work this out eventually, but Collaborate seems to be a nice alternative for now.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.