Error message blocks update to Catalina on MacBook Air

Reaction score
I get the following error message when attempting update to Catalina from Mojave on my MacBook Air (Early 2015): “The update package has been deleted since being downloaded from the Apple Software Update server." Happened 3 times, blocking installation. Appreciate any suggestions as to what to do. I didn't have this problem when updating to Catalina on my iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know for sure but it sounds like the package you downloaded three times either was not complete or had errors. That can be an Apple problem with their server.

Can you try downloading it again on your iMac and then use that install image to update your MacBook Pro? If you get the same error with the iMac, then it probably is a server problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Did you download the whole package or is it a smaller file that then downloads the whole version? That error message looks like it is for a small file that downloads and installs the bigger package.

You should be able to get what you need from here: https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.