Error Message about System Extensions

Reaction score
While trying to reinstall printer drivers an error message popped up saying: 'Systems Extension "/System/Library/Extension/Apple USBEthernetHost.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Try re-installing this.'

What's happened and how do I fix it please?

I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro, mid-2012 with OSX 10.8.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a bug. Unless you plan on using a USB Ethernet connection you don't need that kernel extension file. Just rename the kext file and it won't bother you again. You may have to enter your admin password in order to rename the file.

Rename it to something that you can find later on such as:

USBEthernetHostkext.save

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you,chscag,

Unfortunately, you assume a level of knowledge that I do not have. Please tell me how/where I find this file and then how I go about re-naming it. I tried looking for it with my rudimentary knowledge of Mac and OSX and failed miserably.

I note that some similar /System/Library/ files problems require re-installing the operating system to install the missing/corrupt file. This seems to be a rather drastic measure, especially if all you want/need to do is to be able to use a USB to Ethernet connection?

Reaction score
It may be that the cause behind this is corrected. Download the latest version of iTunes Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now and install it.

My system shows /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext (note no space between Apple and USB)

You can delete your file that is named like this, then reinstall iTunes and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, ron4mac,
Unfortunately I appear to be missing something. I have the latest version of iTunes (11.4) and cannot see any tab, list etc that is "My system" to show the extension as you describe so my efforts stalled right there. Any further guidance, please?

BTW, I don't follow how the re-installation of iTunes fixes things.

M

MacInWin

The file ron4mac talked about is here:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext

It's not in iTunes, you use Finder to get there.

Reaction score
In the Finder menu, choose Go > Go to Folder, then enter '/System/Library/Extensions'. After pressing enter, you will see a list of extension files. Find the one titled 'AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext'. It may or may not display the .kext on the end and there may be a space between Apple and USB. Drag that file to the trash. You will likely need to enter an administrator password to do so.

Re-installing iTunes will cause a new 'AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext' to be place there that will (hopefully) be okay.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, MacInWin and ron4mac,

I failed to find the file using Finder and then ron4mac posted the "how" and I tried that. Turns out that the folder cannot be found! How did that happen, I wonder? Can you please tell me what else I should do now? If the folder isn't even there, how can re-installing iTunes put the file where it belongs? I have a full backup via Time Machine onto an Apple Time Capsule, do I need to uninstall the OS and re-install it? I'm getting the collywobbles at the prospect.

Reaction score
I'm afraid that it is pretty much impossible that, on a running system, that folder is not present. You're not including the quotes that I had around /System/Library/Extensions are you?

Collywobbles :) .. I'll have to remember that one!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Jackgeorge15

That file is not where you've been told to look, nor is it hidden. It's under "system". Look below and follow:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/

Note that it is NOT under your user library but directly under "Macintosh HD" as shown above.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, ron4mac and chscag. You are my new guardian angels/Mac gurus.

Since the "go" menu scheme couldn't find the file or the folder, I just kept clicking my through the HD folders until I found the Library/Extensions/ and the file. I have trashed it and now only need to re-install iTunes. Do I have to uninstall iTunes or can I simply just download and install over the top of the old one? Appreciate your efforts, guys.

Reaction score
renaming system extension file

It's a bug. Unless you plan on using a USB Ethernet connection you don't need that kernel extension file. Just rename the kext file and it won't bother you again. You may have to enter your admin password in order to rename the file.

Rename it to something that you can find later on such as:

USBEthernetHostkext.save

There is no rename function in any of the menus that I can find. I find a "Copy" and I can move it to the Trash but I don't know how to rename it at this point. I tried right-clicking on the file and using the menu bar to find a rename function.

Should I just Trash it?:Confused:http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Confused.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on the file once, and it should highlight. When highlighted, it can be renamed. I do not recommend trashing the file.

Reaction score
I went through the finder to find the extension folder but do not see an extension with that name. In fact, I only have one extension in that folder. I don't know much about computers, but isn't that odd? I would think that there would be more than one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.