ePUB or MOBI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Not sure if this is the right forum for my question. I am trying to decide what format I should choose for a digital booklet. I have an old Kindle (Version 3.4.3) and books are automatically downloaded to Apple Store's Kindle app.

I have been offered a choice of format, MOBI being recommended for Kindle and ePUB for Desktops, tablets and mobile/cellphones.

The seller says that the digital booklet will only be available on one device. If I choose MOBI and download it to my Kindle does this mean that it won't be readable on the Kindle app?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not even close, but I've moved it to the right forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The current Kindle app is at version 1.30.0. I don't know if the Kindle app you have can read the current Kindle format without conversion.

You probably should first update your Kindle app to the latest. But a bit of warning here... I don't know if books you have in your library using the older format will all be converted to the new Kindle format. I have lost several books during the conversion.

And Kindle books generally can not be converted to other formats. I have tried several times and failed.

You may be better off downloading in ePUB format which generally can be converted to other formats and I also believe the Apple Books app can read it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.