Enlarging icons when attaching a file

Reaction score
How do I enlarge icons/files in documents when trying to attach a file to an email?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

By enlarge, do you mean increasing the font size? Icon size can be changed using the Preview app if that's what you want to do. Increase the icon or fonts before attaching the file and after it's saved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Or do you mean to view the image inline instead of as an icon? You can select that in YOUR mail, but you cannot control what the other end sees in THEIR mail. It depends on their settings and apps whether or not images appear as icons or inline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Or.... Are you looking to change the size of the icon for the files you are searching through?

OP
G
Reaction score
Or do you mean to view the image inline instead of as an icon? You can select that in YOUR mail, but you cannot control what the other end sees in THEIR mail. It depends on their settings and apps whether or not images appear as icons or inline.

I want to know if the icons and file names in the window showing the folders and files can be enlarged? Does that make more sense?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 1.46.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 1.46.14 PM.png
    234 KB · Views: 9

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to know if the icons and file names in the window showing the folders and files can be enlarged? Does that make more sense?

Yes, that does make more sense. You can enlarge that window and all windows which would include icons if you use a lower resolution for your display. However, that may make everything less clear and in some programs cause blurriness.

Probably the best way is to use the zoom function on that window which will result in the fonts and icons becoming enlarged. But that is only temporary.

Read thru the following Apple article which describes how to use the zoom function of your Mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I want to know if the icons and file names in the window showing the folders and files can be enlarged?
Yes, both can be enlarged, permanently. Zoom is not needed.

Do you want all windows to show larger icons and text? If so, click on your Hard Drive icon in the upper right corner, opening its Finder window.

From the View menu, select Show View Options. There you will see Icon Size and Text Size. Adjust both to your preference. You may also want to change the spacing between icons.

Now to apply this to "all" windows, click the Use As Defaults button at the bottom.

The reason I put all in quotes is that there is a caveat. If you have changed any characteristics of random Finder windows similar to this window, these changes will not be applied to those windows. As you find any that did not change, you will have to repeat the steps above, minus the Defaults button.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had forgotten about that method.

Thanks @toMACsh, good tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.