Emptying trash takes forever - Alternatives?

Reaction score
I was trying to free up space on my external drive and thought moving 77 Time Machine files to the trash would be a good way to start. Unfortunately emptying the trash is now never ending. I let it run all night and it did not complete. Is there a fast way to get rid of these files quickly? I realize I probably should have used the Time Machine utility to erase them but I am where I am. It also will not let me move the files back.

Any Suggestions are welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

You have two problems now. One is that the trash will take forever to empty, the other is that you have probably destroyed the Time Machine backup if you used Finder to move those 77 backups to the trash. Although you can see the files in Finder on the TM backup drive, they are mostly not really files, but links to where the files really are. Without going into the details on how TM works, the simplest way at this point to gain control of your system is to cancel the trashcan empty process, wait for it to stop (It will take some time to do that), then just use Disk Utility to erase the entire TM drive and start over. If you use Finder to delete backups, that process breaks the chains of links TM uses to keep track of the various backups. Even if the Trash emptying process finishes, the TB backup will have lost integrity and no longer be of much value, so just starting over is the best way to go.

Now, if you have anything other than TM files on the backup drive, you have two choices--wait for the trash empty process to finish or erase the drive and lose all of those other files on the drive along with TM.

Sorry for the harsh news, but it's where you are.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Any Suggestions are welcome

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Vince007,

You have had the best advice available. I'm sorry for your predicament. We all live & learn. You have learnt that this is not the way to proceed. We've all been there, at one time or another.

Ian

OP
V
Reaction score
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Vince007,

You have had the best advice available. I'm sorry for your predicament. We all live & learn. You have learnt that this is not the way to proceed. We've all been there, at one time or another.

Ian

Thanks all - I killed the trash process and copied my other files off the drive - and then reformatted the entire thing. The drive was so full that originally I could not even copy the other files off successfully. With a new 4GB solid state drive I am in a much better spot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.