email servers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
wasn't sure where to post this as it deals with both my MacBook Pro and my iPad and iPhone.

i've been looking into another email server nothing to do with Google or Gmail.
i dont need anything fancy, just uncluttered and safe.

Have read about mailfence which is from Belgium, proton which is from Switzerland both have excellent reviews and comments.
others are counter mail, hush mail and tutanota mail.

are they all free versions?
can these be run on all my devices!
and do they have apps in app store?

anyone have comments about these? positive, negative.

i have macbook oro running mojave.

thankyou

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved..

Please do a little bit of your research on your own first to learn about these solutions and then gather more info from anyone here using it. Your basic questions are EASILY answered just by visiting their site. The two options you've listed have free and paid versions with appropriate limits between them.

What is wrong with just using GMail or some other readily available email service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
wasn't sure where to post this as it deals with both my MacBook Pro and my iPad and iPhone.

i dont need anything fancy, just uncluttered and safe.

Have read about mailfence which is from Belgium, proton which is from Switzerland both have excellent reviews and comments.
others are counter mail, hush mail and tutanota mail.

are they all free versions?
can these be run on all my devices!
and do they have apps in app store?

anyone have comments about these? positive, negative.

i have macbook oro running mojave.

thankyou
Lori5060, a bit of tutorial. You referenced email servers then asked some questions. Email servers are systems that receive and deliver email messages. They are not applications, or software, just a service. So, for example, if you opened an email account at proton, you would get an address like this: [email protected]. So when somebody sent an email to that address, it would be parsed out as headed for protonmail.com, delivered to them. They would, in turn note that it belonged to "something" and would put it in your inbox, waiting for you to log in for it. You, in order to retrieve it, would run your mail program (Mail, Spark, whatever) on your Mac and provide the login information for proton mail, including the server address that proton would provide you, your account name and password. After it determined that you are the proper recipient, the proton mail server would then send the message to your application where you can open it and read it. NOTE: Proton does not care what application is used to see the message. All they care about is that you are you and that the message is accurately relayed to you. I only provided this tutorial to get the terms properly defined for you so you can better understand what you may read at Proton or mailfence.

To put it in physical terms, imagine you have a post office box at the local post office, number 123. Somebody sends you a letter at that address. They put it in their outbox that the postman picks up (in email terms, they send it to their outgoing server). The post office there reads the address, sees the post code or zip code, sends the letter to that post office (in email terms, the sending service sends the email to the receiving server). In your local post office, they look at the address to see that it is P.O. Box 123, so they put the letter in the box (email equivalent is that the message is queued in your inbox, waiting for you to log in). You then go to the post office with your box key (login information) and open up the box to receive the letter (message in inbox, unread). Finally you open the envelop to read the message (open the message to read the email). Note that your post office doesn't care HOW you got to the box, you can walk, drive, arrive on a scooter, send someone else with the key, whatever. The same idea works for email. The server doesn't care what application is asking for the messages, just that it has the proper keys to unlock the box (account name and password).

So, in light of that tutorial, your questions:

Are they free? Proton is, I don't know anything about mailfence, but Ashwin says it's free, too. But for some advanced functions you may have to pay. I just don't know, you can check it out at their websites.

Will they run on your Mac? No, they don't RUN anything. You can access your mail with whatever email application you want to use. Apple's Mail can be configured to receive it, if you like it, as can a host of third part email applications.

Do they have apps in the App Store? I don't know. Go look. But to use either of these services, you don't need their application.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of you thanks for your info and comments. my apologies for not being specific with my wording and using description incorrectly... I knew what I wanted to say, just was not saying using correct terms.

Macwin - Jake - I just love your story line... so this is not any different than using gmail, hotmail or any other mail server... right?
run on Mac... really meant can I use on Mac... and obviously I can.

RazOrEdge-ashwin - I hear so much about google and how they are taking over everything. not very confident in their security and safety of my data. tried to change gmail address but that is proving cumbersome at the moment.

the mail servers from Europe...I tend to like and feel confident in, as I had a GMX mail server account and it was wonderful. not full of ads or other junk. just plain and simple.
I find anything from Europe including some apps I have ... work great and usually no issues and great support.
I will dig further into each of these and then decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@lori5060, I have three main email addresses. Hotmail was the first one I made in 1999 or 2000, I now only use it for subscriptions and newsletters. I also use my iCloud email address for those as well. I do use my gmail address only for personal friends and family communications. I have not had any ill affects by using gmail. it really only depends on what you allow google to have access to, like if you do a google search, or if you use your gmail for all your newsletters or subscriptions, then google will have all that information "to use and sell". On average, in Mail on my devices all three accounts are synced, and I get about 25 emails, and very little junk mail gets to my inbox.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ferrari... good to know. like with FB... I have all my privacy and security set to its fullest. I never post of FB and ask friend/family not to post pics of me etc. I only PM people.

so will have to see how to do something similar in google...dont intentionally use google for much of anything...except my gmail accts.
I use duckduckgo for search engine, have that set up as default with Safari.
will check how I can set what google has access to.
thanks for tip....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o this is not any different than using gmail, hotmail or any other mail server... right?
Right. And thanks for the kind words.

krs

Reaction score
Lori5060 - you might also look at mail.com
I use that as an alternate email to my main email account which is with my ISP

The one thing I like about mail.com is that they have a very large variety of @ addresses you can chose from.
So if you like a short email address like I do, such as [email protected], you will probably find one there.

Again, basic account free, premium account a few dollars. I just use the basic one for my purposes.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thnx... will check into that one too!

i found the site and yes there's quite a variety of options you have to choose the type of account name you want.
great as an alternate for ordinary every day use but not for private in business emails.

because I wanted to have a email that has good security to use for my business emails etc. dealing with my financials etc.
so i looked into web based emails...

unwise, generally speaking, to use web based email for any correspondence of a private nature, or to use it for services that will be emailing you sensitive information.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
What do you mean by an email that has "good security"?

Emails by their very nature provide no security unless they are encrypted.

If you want something web-based like that you could use Hushmail or the newer Apple Mail offers encryption I believe, but I never tried that.
I have used Hushmail extensively, but it's not free.

Reaction score

I"m assuming that you mean that you want a service to "host an e-mail account for you." (Since that's what Gmail does.)

I'm also assuming that you want something that is free, since Gmail is free.

There are two popular companies that offer free e-mail hosting (for private use, a business account may cost more), and both offer end to end encryption, which is as secure as you can get with such services:

Proton Mail
https://protonmail.com
(encrypted, based in Switzerland)

Tutanota
(encrypted, based in Germany)

The advantage of these companies being in Switzerland and Germany are twofold. First, those countries have very strict laws on how secure such services have to be. Second, it's best to avoid hosting your sensitive data with a U.S. company because, if you've followed the news, you know that the U.S. government keeps bullying U.S. companies to allow them to access users' data. The U.S. government can't do that with most companies in foreign countries. In addition, unlike several e-mail hosting services (cough, Gmail, cough), these don't make their money by harvesting the data in your e-mails and selling it.

I've used Tutanota for business purposes. It was dead reliable.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Lori, this site does a pretty good job of explaining what you get and don't get with the top 5 encrypted email services. https://www.lifewire.com/best-secure-email-services-4136763
Storage is obviously a big issue often only in megabytes unless you pay for more. Google gives you 15Gb free. There are other important differences, Mailfence for example allows you to use the email address you signed up with, this could be your Gmail address eliminating the need to change your address. You just need to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy... exactly my look on things. I'm just a home user. just concerned more for my emails etc to my financial institutions and advisor. I just changed my email for these to my servers emails...but now they are changing over to google/mail and am not comfortable with that. in reality probably ok .... however, I can be bit of a nerd with these things.

Rod.... I shall visit the site you gave. tho I think I was there already but will look again at more in depth.
I like the idea Mailfence allows me to keep my same email address... so I don't have to notify anyone...changes are made but only at my end. or at least that is the way I understood.

one think im not quite sure of.... with encryption.... does the recipient have to do anything different?

more research to do.....
thanks to you all....

my friends and family laugh at me saying 'you change your emails like we change underclothes" in jest of course, but I do change emails every now and then.

krs

Reaction score
I'm following this thread because I'm thinking of changing my email address as well, basically to be able to handle larger attachments directly.

I also like the idea that Mailfence supposedly allows one to keep their present email address, except....how does that actually work???

If one has an email address of say [email protected], the emails sent to that address will end up on the email server of mymail.com
How can they possibly end up on the Mailfence web server directly, they would somehow need to be redirected by the mymail.com server to the Mailfence server.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you are in Canada right... guess you may want to change cuz Telus is going google/mail. wanting to change and not use Telus.net acct!

I have an account with GMX.COM which allows 50mb attachments... tho when I tried it did not go thru. so not sure if both have to be using GMX or I need to make adjustments in settings.

I read more about Mailfence on lifework... link in past posts... sounds bit confusing... they talk about EMLX and and Eml formats. many of the anagrams used in descriptions I have no idea or not sure what they are all about.

usually I set up an account in a new server and play with it sending and received from my regular emails to see what difference is.
just takes time to figure out what it all means.

good luck with your venture.

krs

Reaction score
Yes, I am in Canada
My main email is with my ISP, a small one called Kingston-on-Line or kos (Kingston on line services.)
Maximum email attachment is 20 MB
I got that account when I first connected to the net in 1998 so I have a nice short email address which is just my first name (4 letters).
I have a hardtime getting something similar now unless I host my own email server.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I also like the idea that Mailfence supposedly allows one to keep their present email address, except....how does that actually work???

I think Jake went into great detail explaining how you can keep your own email address whilst using one of these services - post #3.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, I don't think I said that. One cannot keep an email address and use a different service unless you use a mail forwarder. Then you get an address from the forwarder and that service sends your email to the real, hidden server. For example, for years I used pobox.com to forward my email to my real address, usually at my ISP. If I changed ISP providers, all I had to do was to tell pobox.com to stop forwarding to the old and start forwarding to the new. Anybody who wanted to send me email just sent to my address at pobox.com and didn't know about the change at all. Now pobox.com uses it's own service, through FastMail, so I've shifted to pay pobox for that service and don't use an ISP mailbox at all. As a side advantage, the spam filters at pobox are really good. None of it is free, but it's good and, to me, worth the money. BTW, Apple will do the same forwarding for email to their domain as well, but without the spam filtering.

Getting back to lori5060, I don't think she will be able to keep her address and change servers. The domain is a fundamental part of the addressing system and when you send to XYZ.com, it has to go to XYZ.com, not ABC.com, at least first. XYZ.com can forward the mail to ABC.com and you can get your mail at ABC.com, but it's going to XYZ.com, stored on their servers and have all the same exposure as if you just used XYZ.com all by itself.

krs

Reaction score
I think Jake went into great detail explaining how you can keep your own email address whilst using one of these services - post #3.

Ian
I read Jake's post initially, just read it again.
He explained about incoming and outgoing mail servers and how email clients send and retrieve messages.
I already knew all that.
There is nothing there explaining how an email addressed to (for example) [email protected] ends up on the Mailfence server instead of on the gmail server.
This is what I understand Mailfence claims.

Ian - I think you are confusing the email client (which could pretty much any client) with the email server.
I use Apple Mail as the client, I could use any client with my kos mail server account, but my email address at kos.com will always be associated with the kos email server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the Mailfence website and did not see anything to say that one could keep an address and use their service. They do offer forwarding, aliasing and the ability to have your own domain, but nothing about keeping an address from a different server. If they have found a way to do that, it would be a really astounding achievement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.