email question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
I am in a club that has a moderator who sends out email for the club. Lately I have been receiving various email from the individual members with off the wall subjects. Is there a way to block these senders? I am using a new Mac running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Off the top of my head I would suggest going to your Forum, looking at the settings you have made and looking for your Private Settings and see if there are any checkboxes you can adjust (by way of unchecking) to stop these incoming e-mails. A possible thought is you may have inadvertantly checked a box to allow incoming e-mails or alerts from members to you. HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
The only way to "block" senders is to set rules to refuse ALL mail from them - there would be no way to allow legitimate mail and block SPAM. You didn't specify what mail system you're using, so there's no way to tell you how to set up blocking rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Off the top of my head I would suggest going to your Forum, looking at the settings you have made and looking for your Private Settings and see if there are any checkboxes you can adjust (by way of unchecking) to stop these incoming e-mails. A possible thought is you may have inadvertantly checked a box to allow incoming e-mails or alerts from members to you. HTH.

He didn't mention it being a Forum, just email. Your suggestion is a good one if it IS a forum, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
@Ember1205 I just assumed it was a Forum as that is the way the World works in these day's. Perhaps timkins can come back to us and make us better informed to this situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Ember1205 I just assumed it was a Forum as that is the way the World works in these day's. Perhaps timkins can come back to us and make us better informed to this situation.

Understood and agreed. I thought it was a good post, am wondering if it applies now. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
It is the local street rod club email system. It is used primarily to keep the club members up to date on the current things happening in street rodding IE cruise nights, car shows, garage crawls, lunches etc etc. One person (the moderator?) accumulates the info sent to him by other club members and then he make a mass mailing to the 140 other club members in case they are interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you only ever care about getting emails directly from the admin, set up your mail account to "dispose" of the emails from the other senders. Direct to Trash, SPAM, a "holding folder" - whatever makes sense to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Although it might be too late, perhaps if the person sending out the mass e-mail would use Bcc then your e-mail address would not be shared with the other recipients.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although it might be too late, perhaps if the person sending out the mass e-mail would use Bcc then your e-mail address would not be shared with the other recipients.

While you are 100% correct, there's little that one can do to force others to do things "properly". Short of sending a "Reply All" to one of the moderators threads, citing the inappropriateness of their actions and calling out that you now have EVERYONE'S private contact info (and getting everyone else as irritated as you are), it will likely fall on deaf ears (or simply be forgotten about as a result of "force of habit").

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.