Email font issue

Reaction score
Starting yesterday, a lot of my email messages have text that has been replaced with little A's each surrounded by a box. I just got one with a blue link, and the whole thing is 30 of these A-boxes. Yesterday I had an email that was fine, but when I hit reply, the whole message thread became these A-boxes. It just started happening, and it's really weird. I'm running the latest and greatest everything on here, and this coincides with me doing the latest OS X upgrade, except that was supposed to just be for RAW camera support.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just noticed also, one of the emails I got had a webpage on it, and it had all the A-boxes instead of text.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you're experiencing is usually caused by either a needed font that is missing or font corruption. You can verify all your fonts with the Font Book.app.

OP
T
Reaction score
What you're experiencing is usually caused by either a needed font that is missing or font corruption. You can verify all your fonts with the Font Book.app.

that was so easy I feel pretty stupid. I'll know to check the font book app next time.

thanks

OP
T
Reaction score

I thought that was going to work, but it didn't. I found a bunch of duplicate fonts, and it fixed them. But I'm still having the problems in my mail messages. Which led to 2 different issues. First, in Font Book, I'm not really sure how to fix problem. I did fix the duplicates, but when I highlighted all the fonts and went into the menu and ran "validate fonts," it found 22 fonts with problems. I didn't see a way to fix those, though. Then the other issue, in my mail messages, I took 2 different emails that are having these issues, then copy & pasted a sentence that's having the issue, and put it into Pages. In Pages it shows up. One is Veranda, the other is Arial. Neither of those show up in Font book as having a problem. I clicked around min my mail settings and didn't see a way to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.