email clients

Reaction score
I wonder if there is anything out there in the cyberworld which would make it possible to get a complete list of stored receipt addresses on any client, with which one could delete those undesired without having to go through each individually. For example, I use Spark. I write an email, and if I'm not careful, it could be sent to Victoria's Secret instead of my cousin Vinnie.

Sure, I can delete the stored addresses by starting a compose, clicking on the first letter in the address line, and watch what comes up. " A," [email protected] is my desired recipient, but I might get [email protected]. I can correct the situation by deleting that address, and if I write "AB," I might get [email protected], and so on down the alphabet.

It can be done, but it is very tedious, and if I get a piece of junk mail from [email protected], it's going into the list of saved addresses. I once spent, quite literally, several hours chatting with people at myriad levels of tech help in Cupertino, and was not able to make them recognize the problem.

Removing stored addresses to which one has sent mail is easy, but not with those received.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Removing stored addresses to which one has sent mail is easy, but not with those received.

Well, if you were using Apple's Mail app, then removing recipient email addresses would be easy.

Click on Window > Previous Recipients and there would be all those who had sent emails, from shops to big business and, of course, "friends". From there you can Remove all or some of these.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
I wonder if there is anything out there in the cyberworld which would make it possible to get a complete list of stored receipt addresses on any client, with which one could delete those undesired without having to go through each individually. For example, I use Spark. I write an email, and if I'm not careful, it could be sent to Victoria's Secret instead of my cousin Vinnie.

Sure, I can delete the stored addresses by starting a compose, clicking on the first letter in the address line, and watch what comes up. " A," [email protected] is my desired recipient, but I might get [email protected]. I can correct the situation by deleting that address, and if I write "AB," I might get [email protected], and so on down the alphabet.

It can be done, but it is very tedious, and if I get a piece of junk mail from [email protected], it's going into the list of saved addresses. I once spent, quite literally, several hours chatting with people at myriad levels of tech help in Cupertino, and was not able to make them recognize the problem.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well, if you were using Apple's Mail app, then removing recipient email addresses would be easy.

Click on Window > Previous Recipients and there would be all those who had sent emails, from shops to big business and, of course, "friends". From there you can Remove all or some of these.

Ian

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, unwanted recipients are not the problem. As mentioned, it is easy to remove addresses to which one has sent email. Incoming addresses which are stored, whether MacMail or any other client are something else, altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I once spent, quite literally, several hours chatting with people at myriad levels of tech help in Cupertino, and was not able to make them recognize the problem.

I am sorry I cannot help and I must be the same as some of the techs you contacted in Cupertino and neither can I actually understand what your problem is.

As mentioned Apples Mail Application has an editable "Previous Recipients" list of all senders that have ever sent me any email.

Are you looking for a separate list for all client emails you may have sent an email to or something similar??? I would have thought they would be available in your Sent mailbox or similar location assuming that the email client application you are using uses such a mailbox. Apple Mail does in case it helps with your problem.

- Patrick
=======

OP
E
Reaction score

Ian
That's not the problem. Deleting recipients from email sent is easy. I'm talking about addresses stored from inbound mail.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm talking about addresses stored from inbound mail.

That's what I was talking about. Email addresses from mail coming in to you.

Every email ever sent IN to you, whether requested or from outside parties such as advertisements - anything coming IN - is stored and recorder in "Previous Recipients". That is Inbound Mail.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

+!. Same here.

What is it about this discussion that I'm having a hard time understanding what the OP's question or problem actually is???

Maybe it has something to do with the with the Spark application they are using for their e-mail. If so why not just switch to using Apple Mail application??? Easy solution and fix... ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not the problem. Deleting recipients from email sent is easy. I'm talking about addresses stored from inbound mail.

You obviously do not understand then what Ian has been telling you. Please re-read his last post #8. It's very easy to remove those addresses when using Apple Mail.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm a bit puzzled as well and I do use Spark.
If I start a new outbound message and I enter a single letter in the "To:" box I see a list of all email addresses starting with that letter I have sent email "To" AND received email "From".
In that window each email address has an X at the right to remove selected email addresses.
It's pretty obvious which ones have sent me notifications, newsletters etc. Not people I have sent emails to.
I'm not sure if there is an easier way to remove adress' from senders you have never written or replied to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if there is an easier way to remove adress' from senders you have never written or replied to.

Maybe by not procrastinating on keeping the address list up-to-date and not leaving it until it becomes almost overwhelming to deal with. ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
E
Reaction score

Every email ever sent IN to you, whether requested or from outside parties such as advertisements - anything coming IN - is stored and recorder in "Previous Recipients". That is Inbound Mail.

Ian
I haven't used MacMail in five or six years. It appears that the problem has been solved. Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done! Care to share the solution for the benefit of others?

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Perhaps there is a way in Mail to edit or delete the Inbox list, as opposed to the "To:" list? I'm not overly surprised. Apple Mail has become so complex over the years. I hesitate to say "bloated" but it seems in an attempt to make this core app all things to all men it's become overly complicated. Perhaps that's just me, I admit I have not kept up with the changes over successive upgrades. I gave up on it about 8 years ago when I had constant issues with accounts going off line on both my computer and my wife's. I spent so much time fixing my wife's the last thing I wanted was to have to do the same on my device. I feel like my suspicions were confirmed as I never had the same issues with AirMail while my wife continued to with Mail.
Maybe that's a thing of the past but as stated I now use Spark which is refreshingly simple, does everything I need and more in an easy intuitive way as well as a priority sorting system which I have grown to like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What to use for email is one of those "religious" facets of today. I stuck with Apple's Mail through the years and it has progressed nicely. Nothing terribly "fancy" about it, but it works well across the Apple line of products, is predictable and has gotten much better. I tried Spark, Airmail, Thunderbird and a few others, but keep coming back to Mail. It does, in fact, "just work."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What to use for email is one of those "religious" facets of today. I stuck with Apple's Mail through the years and it has progressed nicely. Nothing terribly "fancy" about it, but it works well across the Apple line of products, is predictable and has gotten much better. I tried Spark, Airmail, Thunderbird and a few others, but keep coming back to Mail. It does, in fact, "just work."

Ah yes, and oh dear for that fateful day when one had to stop using and switch from using the Eudora application to another e-mail client and nothing was coming close at the time, but somehow we managed... ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used Thunderbird for years because it was compatible with both Windows and macOS. And during the days of UseNet the included news reader worked very well for those on line forums.

But when I switched away from Windows for good I gave up on Thunderbird and went with Apple Mail which I still use today.

Never tried Eudora although they did have a version for Windows. I can't remember if Eudora was free or shareware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't remember if Eudora was free or shareware.

Eudora on the Mac maintained a free version, but in the later versions right up to the end they provided a commercial version that I think cost around $25 that provided some extra features, the details of which I don't really recall all that were involved.

It also had a lot of extra features that some considered rather geeky to access, which in fact they probably were, but some were very interesting to play around with. A geeks paradise almost, but certainly a lot of modifications available, complete with an included spam filter that was tied in with and used SpamSieve as I recall.

Besides all all of the modifications and customisations to an assortment of various rules it was outstanding in it's super fast search tools and organization of emails.

It still amazes me that no one came close to duplicating its features with future developments, several of which I donated to and supported but most never really came close to working properly or nearly as well as the original as far as I was concerned. But Apple's Mail managed to fill the bill early well so it became my main E-Mail client and still Is and used in its Classic View list mode. AKA: Duplicating Eudora's List View and easy to sort method.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Religious or not it definitely is a individual thing. Email is still so integral to what we all do to a greater or lesser degree it's an essential and still the first thing I check every day. So whatever suits our workflow is the right choice for each of us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.