emac external hard drive

Reaction score
i was thinking about buying an external hard drive i have a few questions

is there a maximum amount of space the emac will support
is there a certant type of drive i have to get?
can i still see my internal hard drives desktop but watch movies and listen to mp3s off my external

not sure if the is the right section if not im sorry :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to use any size external hard drive. Type of drive can be USB or firewire and yes you can view movies and listen to MP3s while running programs from the internal drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Forget about using USB with your eMac model. With transfer rate of only 12 Mb/sec, it will be frustratingly slow.

Firewire connection will be essential. Looking into the future though, if you plan on upgrading to a more recent computer, you might want to think about buying a combo Firewire/USB2 enclosure - but just don't use the USB with your eMac.

Take a look at OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC for ideas about what to buy, and how much you can expect to pay.

For your own sake, read independent reviews of hard drive brands, eg. Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital; and don't be overawed by big talk about Terrabytes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.