Electric shock

Reaction score
15" MacBook Pro 2009 wit up to operating system
My MacBook Pro was running on batt power, received warning batt low at 7%, when I plugged in to charger Electric shock received ,the whole notebook was live & I noticed charger lite was not on, no liquids were spilt, help
Is this the end of my beloved Mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is the electrical outlet you're using a grounded outlet?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or maybe, is it a proper Apple Power Adapter or a cheap Chinese knockoff?

And I don't know what area you're in, but all Apple Power supplies are two prong only here in Canada and have no ground pin.

Anyway, kill the AC power for now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I don't know what area you're in, but all Apple Power supplies are two prong only here in Canada and have no ground pin.

In my case (in the US)...it depends. If I'm using the little "stubby" travel plug...it only has a two-blades. But if I'm using the 5-6 ft. power cord with the mag-safe power brick...then it has two-blades + the ground pin.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oppps, you're correct and I forgot about the 5-6 ft. power cord with its U-Ground plug.

Makes one wonder why it's even there doesn't it?? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They both (stubby & regular) slide into the mag-safe brick the same way. Makes one wonder if the regular cord (with the ground pin) makes a different connection with the power brick to make use of the ground pin.

I would sure like to think so!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
when I plugged in to charger Electric shock received ,the whole notebook was live & I noticed charger lite was not on, no liquids were spilt, help
Is this the end of my beloved Mac

No, but it might be the end of you if you're using a cheap knock off MagSafe Adapter charger or if it's defective. There could also be a problem with your AC outlet. Typically getting shocked by real AC (not static) when touching the chassis of your MacBook Pro means that it's not grounded properly.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Firstly, ground the shell. What the other comments say about knock off chargers and grounded outlets is true but first you need to make sure the unit is safe. With the laptop switched off and disconnected from the charger take a piece of copper wire, stick it on a metal water pipe (possibly outside) at one end and touch it to your computer shell on the other end. This is a simple way of discharging any static charge you may have built up. If you live in a dry environment this can happen over time. Try connecting the charger again and while wearing rubber soled shoes check to see if you get a tickle when touching the shell. If you do then either your power supply is suspect or your charger is "leaking" power to the shell. If the latter you will need to take it to an Apple service centre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They both (stubby & regular) slide into the mag-safe brick the same way. Makes one wonder if the regular cord (with the ground pin) makes a different connection with the power brick to make use of the ground pin.

I would sure like to think so!:)

- Nick

I can't find my AC extension cord for my MBPro power adapter with the duckhead connector, but I recall questioning and checking out previously as to why it had a U-Ground plug and I never did find a logical reason or explanation.

There was no electrical connection for the ground at the adapter as I recall, and all I could think of is that it was used to keep the polarity of the AC pins, neutral being at the same potential as the ground back at the breaker panel, but that didn't make sense as when the duckhead adapter is used by itself, the AC connectors aren't even polarized.

So just a go figure thing I guess.... or maybe it's due to some UL or CSA regulation when a cord is used or...????

No further word back from the OP, so I hope he's OK or satisfied with the posts to his question. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Firstly thnx all for your time in replying to my issue.

I appologise for my slow reply as i have just returned to Australia from the Philipinnes where my issue occurred.

Some back ground, i was using original three pin MagSaf charger as supplied, my problem occurred with a faulty two pin adapter purchased in the PI, it had preformed faultlessly for some time, some how it developed a fault shorting the plug n magsaf, I'm plsd to report after changing adaptor, my macbook pro is performing in its usual faultless manner despite it being live.
again many thnx to all

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too use a three pin plug in Indonesia preferring to use an adaptor for local outlets rather than a two pin plug an cord for the brick. That way the earth is retained (where available).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.