Easy Way to Show Desktop?

Reaction score
I usually have multiple Word docs, Entourage and Safari open simultaneously. Is there any easy to minimize all of those at once so I can then find a folder on my desktop and get something out of it. Windows has the Show Desktop button. Is there anything similar (e.g., Command + ?) in Leopard?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are looking for Expose.
You will find it in your System Preferences.
There you can set whatever key or trigger you would like to show your Desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Or you can use Hot corners, you put the mouse pointer in the corner of the screen and it will do the same thing. I have in the top left monitor sleep, top right is the dashboard, Bottom left is all open window and bottom right shows desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I vote for Hot Corners. My top right displays the desktop and lower left brings up the dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
i've been looking for this answer since i bought my iMac. hot corners is great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
I got it as command+d, lovvvvvvvve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i love hot corners. top left = screensaver, top right = desktop, bottom right = program windows, and bottom left is always dashboard

OP
C
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to pull up a specific window or doc? For example, I usually have Entourage, Word and Safari running simultaneously. If I'm responding to an e-mail, and I need to check something (e.g., in a Word doc or another message) as part of composing my reply, clicking on that other window basically hides the message I'm typing. To get back to it, I then have to individually minimize all of the other windows in order to get back to -- unhide -- the reply message.

In Windows, I would have just clicked the reply message's box on the status bar. Does the Mac have a similar shortcut?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro
is there a way to set a hot corner for screensaver or sleep that would require the admin password to get back on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
is there a way to set a hot corner for screensaver or sleep that would require the admin password to get back on?

Yes, if you go to Security in Preferences and check the box to require a password to wake from screensaver or sleep, and then set the hot corner to screensaver.

OR open up Keychain Preferences (Applications> Utilities) and go to Preferences. Check the box to show status in menu bar - you can then click on it and select lock screen.

Reaction score
Show the DESKTOP with a single click

In System Preferences, Exposé & Spaces, click on Exposé, then in show desktop, scroll to (Right Command). That's it now all you have to do is hit the right command button to show the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hot corners for me.:D

C

chas_m

For my job, I have to keep Safari, TextEdit, CyberDuck, Photoshop and a couple of custom programs open, all at once. On a 13" MacBook (with a 21" second monitor attached, mind you).

How do I do this and keep everything organised? SPACES! Check it out, it's in your system preferences. Spaces has saved me from having to buy a bigger Mac for YEARS now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Oh my gosh! Hot Corners RULE!!!!
THank
Monty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.