Easiest way to password lock or encrypt a folder?

C

chas_m

There are quite a number of file/folder encryption programs on the Mac App Store. I seem to remember getting one called BitClamp in a bundle a long time ago. Also remember one called Cryptor. Hider 2 from MacPaw is another option.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sterioscopic was a bit short on instructions. Go here for full instructions on how to do this.
How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image - Apple Support
If you choose not to save the password in key chain (which would sort of defeat the whole point) make sure you can NEVER forget it. If you do there is NO way to get the contained info or indeed the storage space back. Not even trashing it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Call me paranoid but I'm a little bit wary of using other developers apps to encrypt data. I fear that the app might crash or become incompatible for some reason not to mention paying for it (I admit to being a bit of a tightwad).
Creating an encrypted .dmg (Disk Image) has worked very well for me. When opened it mounts on the desktop like a Disk Drive, you can drag files into and out of it and open it just like a standard Finder window. No frills but native and very reliable.;)

Reaction score
Hey there,

Was wondering if anyone knew the easiest way to password protect or encrypt a folder.

You can hide a folder or file by typing a period (full stop) in front of the name.

Quickly Show/Hide Hidden Files on Mac OS X Mavericks & Yosemite | Ian Lunn - Front End Developer

Just remember where you left it and don't accidentally trash the folder it is in.

Probably the best is however to create an encrypted .dmg file in Disk Utility. That way you can just double click it, enter the password and use the contents straight from the .dmg.

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I explored the issue and by far the easiest way it to simply turn on the encryption feature for the entire computer. Too bad Apple isn't like Windows where all you have to do is right click a file and crate a password. No, that would be too easy!

Reaction score
But you asked for a folder not a file.

That is something Windows can't do either without doing what the Mac does, which is zip it and then apply a password to the zip file.

btw IMO you are asking for trouble by encrypting your entire computer.

When Apple applies encryption, that is a very strong encryption, and when you inevitably can't get back into it you'll be here begging us to give you a way to crack what you wanted nobody to be able to get at.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
No worries because I gave Apple my encryption key, so I won't be here crying for tips on how to get back in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.