Earbuds for athletic/exercise use

Reaction score
Three minutes on an elliptical cross trainer was all the time it took for me to realize that the Apple standard iPod earbuds weren't going to stay put as I moved.

Today I tried some CISCO-branded retractable in-ear buds and they worked pretty well. I also went out and bought a set of the Bose in-ear headphones which seem ok but I'm not sure they'll stay put when I'm moving around a lot (running, biking, etc). I'll probably give them a go tomorrow.

I don't need the world's truest sound reproduction. If they sound as good as the standard Apple buds I'm happy.

Anything in particular other folks recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
The only ear buds that will stay in my ears when I'm running are the new style of the apple earbuds - the kind that came with my husband's ipod that I bought him for Christmas. They're slightly curved and they stay put. I've tried at least 5 other kinds and this one works. Instead of the foam cover that always falls off, there is a rubberized edge that helps to keep them in place.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I make it my mission in life to avoid exercise where possible, however, my wife occasionally forces me to go mow the lawn on a hot day or do something similarly strenuous. Those ear buds do tend to pop out when you're on the move and you're sweating.

I've found the wrap-around ear style earbud to work best. Something like this should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I got this idea from a friend made an obvious observation about wrap-around style earphones. They stay in place because their stablized by being secured to your ear. So what he does (and I now do) is wrap the wire from the standard earbuds around the back of the ear before sticking them in!

Simple, but works great and saves money. Since I've done this, I've never had them fall out when I'm working out (including jogging). Plus when their wrapped that way, it does a good job of keeping the cord from rubbing on my cheeks, which is a big plus since that always drove me crazy. And if you need to hear someone for a second, you just pop them out and let them kinda hang there,ready to pop back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 8GB Nano
I have the Nike Skylon headphones. They are great, very small, lightweight, and made of metal, so they are durable. They fit over the ear, and are very adjustable for a secure fit. They have good sound too.

I use them for working out, running, weights, etc, and have no problem with them falling out. (Even on the eliptical machine.) It seems they are available through the HP store for $40. A great set of headphones for an active person.

eg205aa_400.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
the apple ear buds are the best ive tried for running. you have to do a few things though. i use a shuffle and i keep it clipped on the pocket of my shorts. also i run the wire between two shirts (im usually wearing two). this minimizes movement i think. every about 10-15 minutes i use a napkin or towel to dry my ear though.

Reaction score
I don't wear mine while working out but I bet a pair of Shure e3c would stay in just fine.

Reaction score
I work out 5 days a week and use my new shuffle with Shure e2c's and they work very well. I've used them on the treadmill, eliptical, exercise bike, and weight lifting. No problems at all, plus the sound quality is excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I second the shures too. the e2c's are great if on a budget, or e3c's if you got the cash. I have the e2n's. They are very similar to the e2c's, but the cord is shorter.

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

What is the difference between the e2c and the e3c?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

What is the difference between the e2c and the e3c?

about $80 depending on where you get them, and the e3cs will be a little more clear and have more dynamic range (higher highs lower lows). I'm an audiophile on a budget (ugh) and the e2c's are excellent for the price.

A couple other observations, if you plan on running outside then you might want to stick with earbud style and not in-canal, the shure's are noise canceling so you might not hear that car until it hits you.

Since the shure's are in-canal you have to make sure (no pun intended) they fit correctly in the canal. They come with about 4 different size sleeves, so play around until you find the ones that fit the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
about $80 depending on where you get them, and the e3cs will be a little more clear and have more dynamic range (higher highs lower lows). I'm an audiophile on a budget (ugh) and the e2c's are excellent for the price.

A couple other observations, if you plan on running outside then you might want to stick with earbud style and not in-canal, the shure's are noise canceling so you might not hear that car until it hits you.

Since the shure's are in-canal you have to make sure (no pun intended) they fit correctly in the canal. They come with about 4 different size sleeves, so play around until you find the ones that fit the best.

I second the Shure e2c's. Great if travel a lot, especially on planes where it is great for cancelling noise. As said by CleverOne they may not be the best option for training though, but they do fit well in the ear and won't fall out.

Those ones that nunee suggests are probably most suitable for running.

Reaction score
I just noticed I said e3c, but I actually have the e2c. I have no complaints with them.

Reaction score
I used to have a pair of etymotic er6i earbuds. They sounded great (when you could position them correctly) BUT when walking or running you could hear every footfall booming through your skull. They cut out all external sound, which makes life like watching a music video, but that isn't particularly safe in urban areas and when you get a bit sweaty they tend to slip.

I sold them on and bought a pair of Koss PortaPro. These are more standard headphone design, but are light, comfortable, sound good, don't fall off and allow some external sound through. Look 'em up.

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Wellll ... went to the Apple Store today and came home with the Sennheiser PMX 70. They were cheap so if I don't like them I can zap them, but they seemed to be very secure and had the advantage of not blocking my ears so I might actually still hear a little of my surroundings.

The Apple Store didn't have the e3c, just the e2c ... otherwise I might have jumped on them and still may in the future.

Reaction score
Ultimate Ears Super Pro 5's in-ear monitors are excellent. They are pricey (around $200) but they work great for excercise and will make your iPod sound like it never has.

I train all the time with them plugged into my 4 GB Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
My Mrs has some Sony's that have a similar hook that goes over your ears to nunee's - they're in-canal and sound pretty good. They stay put when working out. I just bought some Sony MDREX90LP for myself - Very deep bass! and loud! treble is a bit week, but very impressive earphones. The only bad point for me is:

1, They show my 1st gen nanno' poor sound quality compared to the same track with the same earphones plugged into my iMac.

2, They leak alot of sound outside because the big drivers are vented, bad for trains and tube trains.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EGLZUE/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.