• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Dvd's !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Jake
I am very sorry and quite surprised to read of your unfortunate MacUpate contaminated download experience which I gather you had done fairly recently or within the last several years.

Did you let MacUpate know of your experience perhaps???

- Patrick
=======
No, Patrick. There was sufficient wailing about the bundling being done already. I had missed it, so got caught.

But, as I said, I'm not going back. Fool me once...

Reaction score
...I would strongly suggest that saying MacUpate is not safe for downloading Mac software is erroneous and quite out of date based on some episodes that happened many years ago to them and others...

So you think that a site, that has without a doubt been known to bundle adware, and arguably malware, with software that you download from them, is a just fine place to trust because you haven't caught them doing it recently?

Has MacUpdate fallen to the adware plague? | Malwarebytes Labs.

That's sort of like saying that someone who has once murdered children only did so for a period of time a few years ago, but he hasn't done it in a while now, so why don't we let him baby-sit our children?

Given that there is arguably no need to ever download software from MacUpdate (you can easily get it from the Apple Store or directly from the developer), and that MacUpdate has very egregiously violated users' trust in the past, I will continue to very strenuously recommend that NOBODY should ever be downloading software from MacUpdate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.