DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W) difference? Compatability..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
At a store nearby they sell DVD-R's and such, but what's the difference between a DVD-R and a DVD+R?? And they're Memorex brand, does any DVD-R/DVD+R work with Mac? Or do I have to purchase Mac specific DVD-R's?

Thanks,

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
any brand of dvds should work and you can not get dvd+r with macs they are strictly - compatible. the difference is just all of the companies that are backing the different formats. their doesn't seem to be an end in sight to which whill be the standard format especially with all of the companies with dual format support

S

stotan

your superdrive should actually be able to burn more than the one dvd format that it currently burns

tp://superdrive.cynikal.net/ (outdated link removed)

apple uses an old firmware version for their Superdrives, but the drive is actually capable of more, however, if you upgrade the firmware apple might not uphold their warranties if something goes bad

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
stotan said:
your superdrive should actually be able to burn more than the one dvd format that it currently burns

tp://superdrive.cynikal.net/ (outdated link removed)

apple uses an old firmware version for their Superdrives, but the drive is actually capable of more, however, if you upgrade the firmware apple might not uphold their warranties if something goes bad

Thanks for the link, but I really wont try that, my superdrive burns DVD's fine so far + the firmware for that might not work on mine at all, I mean, it said it would let you burn at 2x, mine burns at 4x...

anyways, thanks again

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.