DVD problems (Superdrive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi, I have an iMac 17 running Mac OS X 10.4.8 and I have a problem with my Superdrive (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846).

Last night, I tried playing 2 store bought DVD's and upon inserting them, I could hear the drive whirring and ticking but to no avail, the DVD player didn't load. I loaded DVD player, inserted the disk and when I clicked on "play", i got the following message: "Supported disk not available". I then tried with VLC and got an error message also.

If I load a blank DVD, the drive spins for a few seconds then eject the disk. I then tried burning sample files on a blank disk and when I get the "insert disk" message, I load one then it does the same thing, spins then ejects the media. To test this further, I inserted my OS-X install DVD and it loaded OK (read the media).

I then tried the same but with CD's and everything was OK, read, write, play music CD's, etc.

Any ideas? Is my Superdrive failing after only 8 months of very limited use? Would cleaning the drive with a CD cleaner (which I never did) solve my problem?

Thanks,
Gene

M

MacHeadCase

I don't know if this is a trend or not but a friend of ours bought her first Mac, an Intel-based iMac about 5 or 6 months ago and she just had to send it in to get her SuperDrive changed, it wasn't working properly either.

I would bring it in an Apple Store near you or a Mac store and get it checked.

Although you might want to give AppleCare a ring first. Your iMac is still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There does seem to be an issue with some of the superdrives. I had to have mine replaced because it wouldn't read CDs, and I know a couple of other people who have had issues. It's covered in warranty so get it changed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
I inserted my MAC OS X install discs last night in order to install X11. The next time I inserted a DVD into the drive, it wouldn't mount (DVD Player gave me the same message you got). I restarted and accidentally left the DVD in the drive and after boot up, it was playing DVDs again.

Not sure why it happened after putting my Install Discs in or if that's related at all. Just something to try. Let me know if it works.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Thanls for the answers

Exactly what I thought and dreaded doing, while it's in the shop, I'll have to use my Spouse's WinBox...

Thanks,
Gene

ps. remember reading somewhere that certain Matshita drives had issues. Should have called them MacShi**a... LOL

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...

I inserted my MAC OS X install discs last night in order to install X11. The next time I inserted a DVD into the drive, it wouldn't mount (DVD Player gave me the same message you got). I restarted and accidentally left the DVD in the drive and after boot up, it was playing DVDs again.

Worth a try...

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.