DVD player wont recognise DVD's!!!

D

daniel.irons

Hi everyone.

I've just got a brand new iMac 20", its only 3 days old and already a really frustrating problem has come up. (apart from this, everything works like a dream though).

I've tried making some back ups of old DVD's. They burn fine in the superdrive, no problems. But when I go to play them in the same drive that burnt them, nothing happens. I get a message saying 'supported disk not available'.

The disks work perfectly in every other player i've tried them in. I've also tried both DVD+R and DVD-R, and both nothing.

Please can anyone suggest anything? This is really frustrating.

Thanks very much,

dan.

OP
D

daniel.irons

linuxinu said:
Did you set the region zone in dvd player?
Yep, I set it the first time i used it - with an origional, shop bought DVD - to zone 2, and it worked perfectly. It also works perfectly with all other DVD's that i put in it, just not ones that were made with the macs own drive.

:S

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had that happen a few times with my iMac G5 iSight. What brand of DVD's you using to burn? I had a lot of problem with some Memorex DVD +R's like that. Some other players had problems also.

OP
D

daniel.irons

dtravis7 said:
I had that happen a few times with my iMac G5 iSight. What brand of DVD's you using to burn? I had a lot of problem with some Memorex DVD +R's like that. Some other players had problems also.
I tried both DVD+R and DVD-R 'Tesco' brand ... and a DVD-R 'Verbatium' brand. They all work fine everywhere else i play them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
daniel.irons said:
I tried both DVD+R and DVD-R 'Tesco' brand ... and a DVD-R 'Verbatium' brand. They all work fine everywhere else i play them.

I have had overall great luck with Verbatim's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am a memorex man, they play on everything except my gf's cheap cheap cheap dvd player....in that case we watch it on my laptop

problem could lie in your dvd programs burning settings? what programs do you use to rip/compress/burn? what settings you have them all on

-chris

OP
D

daniel.irons

coach_z said:
i am a memorex man, they play on everything except my gf's cheap cheap cheap dvd player....in that case we watch it on my laptop

problem could lie in your dvd programs burning settings? what programs do you use to rip/compress/burn? what settings you have them all on

-chris
Hey, I'm using mac the rippper to rip them, and then just burning them in the standard mac utility (putting in a blank dvd, dragging in the video_ts file, and hitting burn) ... its burning ok, as i said, it works on everything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.