DVD drives and M1 iMac

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I bought a new M1 iMac about a month ago, finally replacing my 2008 iMac (!?). Of course, there is no longer an internal optical drive. I'm looking for an external DVD burner, but I keep seeing posts on other sites saying they may not work with an M1 Mac. Is this true? If some of them will work, which ones? I won't use it that often, so would rather not pay for an Apple Superdrive. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My best suggestion to you is just buy an inexpensive external DVD drive from someplace that accepts returns. (Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, etc)

I have not heard of external DVD drives having a problem with the new M1 Macs but nowadays few folks use DVD drives. Most everything you need (files, programs, updates) are downloadable.

I currently own a Samsung and LG external DVD drive. Both work well with my Intel iMac.

And, I agree with your decision not to buy a rather expensive Apple Super Drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.