DVD Drive Problem

Reaction score
No matter what type of disc I put intno my drive it takes about 5 minutes for the 2009MacbookPro to finally bring up the box that says "you have inserted a blank DVD" Well, These are not blank DVDs it is actually a software disc that I am trying to install the software for my new 3D printer. It also does it with good working DVDs, a windows 8 disc that I am trying to partition my hard drive so that I can have windows for some water modeling I have to use. If anyone has an idea of why this could be doing this and how to fix it I would be very appreciative. Also when the disc didnt work on my computer I put it into my wifes 2010MacbookPro and it works like a charm.

Thanks,
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At six years the drive is RS. Best solution may be a cheap external optical drive. Slot loaders have a pretty high failure rate.

As a last resort you might like to purchase a can of compressed air and blow out the drive slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
At six years the drive is RS. Best solution may be a cheap external optical drive. Slot loaders have a pretty high failure rate.

As a last resort you might like to purchase a can of compressed air and blow out the drive slot.

And maybe add one of the CD/DVD cleaning disks with the small cleaning brush. And make sure you get one with Mac directions so the tiny brush can do its thing properly. And add a few good blasts through the extension tube of most compressed gas cleaners.

Reaction score
he has a 2009 they where notorious for graphics card failures and cd-drive failures i would honestly get a external blu-ray drive for the simple reason of burning dvd cd-r cd+r Blu-ray+R and blu-ray-r it at least gives you all the options and there quite cheap at only 140.00 and you get the best of all burning formats

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.