• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD copying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
jerryny said:
I'm having problems doing just that. I wonder if it's because the original is DVD+R ?

Jerry
if you're trying to copy a burned dvd, that may be a problem, though it really shouldn't be any problem. what sort of problem are you having?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Macman said:
what about time shifting? and copying of purchased dvds for my niece and nephews?

Copying of DVD's takes away potential profit from the dvd labels which makes it illegal. Morally there isn't anything really wrong but it is illegal in a civil way.

[font=verdana, lucida, arial, helvetica]You are allowed to make copies for yourself, for your home, for your office. The Fair Use Act is going by the premise that you can't be 3 places at once...so while you have 5 physical copies, you can only be listening or utilizing the rights of one at a time.

But you may not copy CD's or movies for your friends to keep under the law. There is no even remote interpretation of the actual verbage of the law that provides for that.
[/font]

OP
J

jerryny

Macman said:
if you're trying to copy a burned dvd, that may be a problem, though it really shouldn't be any problem. what sort of problem are you having?
It is a burned DVD. I tried Toast 6 and got an error code 50.

OP
J

Jefe3223

Aptmunich said:
Why exactly do you need to take Simpsons DVDs to school with you?*amused*

Um...It's the simpsons. duh. hahaha. I love the simpsons. I think of myself as a "SUPER FAN". However, my roommate likes to leave our dorm room door/unlocked. I can lock down/away my important stuff, but the simpsons dvds are easier to just keep the copies out. People don't like taking my copies, when they can take the real thing a few doors down...see? I'm a thinker.

Though no one takes stuff anymore, 'cause I know everyone...but I like my copies none-the-less.

OP
N

NuKe

Jeez....don't even get me started on the ridiculous amount of money people in the music and movie industry make...they almost deserve to be ripped off by 3% of the people who watch and listen...hrmm...maybe I am just a bit bitter?!?1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NuKe said:
Jeez....don't even get me started on the ridiculous amount of money people in the music and movie industry make...they almost deserve to be ripped off by 3% of the people who watch and listen...hrmm...maybe I am just a bit bitter?!?1?

You are just bitter. They are doing a job that they are good at and it is profitable. We have no right to steal profits from them

OP
M

macaudiodj

You guys should really watch out if you copy a dvd (even for personal use) it is illegal. They are really starting to crack down on people who copy dvds.

WARNING

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macaudiodj said:
(even for personal use) it is illegal.

Personal Use is legal. You can copy your own dvd's for backup purposes or to keep dvd's in separate locations (Fair Use Act allows you to have one in separate locations assuming that you can't being using them both at once).

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

my friend is in a suit right know for downloading and burning movies...its not a jokeing matter....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.