DVD burner fails to work

Reaction score
Hello, I am really stuck in finding a solution to my problem and it seems like a lot of people share the same one.

My Mac is an OS X Yosemite ( version 10.10.5 ). It's a year and a half old along with the separate DVD burner.

Each time I have tried to burn my DVD I get this response - 'the disc can't be burned because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed ( error code 0x80020022)'

I have lowered the burn speed to x4 and it still doesn't work.

I wondered if anyone knew what else to try in my case.

Many thanks for your time

Mac Ache

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Moved your post here to its own thread.

You didn't tell us which Mac you have or how you're doing the burn (disk utility, separate app).

However, the error you're getting could be:

1. Bad USB cable or port. Bad port is unlikely if your machine is fairly new.

2. Your DVD burner is not getting enough power. It may require a dual USB connector cable. Many external DVD burners require a dual connector cable.

3. The external DVD burner has failed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Moved your post here to its own thread.

You didn't tell us which Mac you have or how you're doing the burn (disk utility, separate app).

However, the error you're getting could be:

1. Bad USB cable or port. Bad port is unlikely if your machine is fairly new.

2. Your DVD burner is not getting enough power. It may require a dual USB connector cable. Many external DVD burners require a dual connector cable.

3. The external DVD burner has failed.

Thank you so much for replying to my post, I'm very grateful!

and thank you for these suggestions.

yes, the I mac is a year a half old along with the DVD burning which I bought with it. It's a DVDRW GX50N. I do remember burning CD's quite recently and I had no trouble.

How did I burn ? Well, I had the quick time file on the desktop. I clicked and held down my mouse to get a pop up menu with a burn option. Then I clicked the burn option( several times with different DVD-R discs.
I also tried in disc utilities but the quick time file, along with all the other quick time files, are grey/dimmed and unaccessible. I really don't know why.

thank you again for responding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.