Dumb Beginner Mistake

Reaction score
I accidentally moved all My Files to Trash. OK, OK, you can stop laughing now...

Is there some way to get them all back? There are some 3000 files involved in this mistake, so one at a time isn't an option.

Originally what happened was I accidentally unzipped a folder. On the PC I just swapped out I had a way of opening an archive without it actually extracting everything. I suspect I have the same option on the Mac, and I just missed something. Anyway, I extracted all this stuff, and then I tried deleting all this stuff, and it was only as I was about to delete the files permanently that I realized I was deleting everything.

you can start laughing again now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Assuming you haven't emptied the trash, just highlight all the items in trash, right click, and click "put back"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...we need to know two things:

1. Did you actually empty the trash?
2. Do you have a backup?

- Nick

M

MacInWin

And next time, I think you can just click once on the file to select it, then press the space bar and the contents will be shown. That's called "Quick View." You can use it to see graphic files, look at documents (text, spreadsheets, presentations) and others quickly without actually opening them.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you have emptied the trash (have a look and see) then unfortunately they are gone. There are some very expensive professional services that may be able to retrieve your files and software that also may be able to (no guarantees) recover your data see; http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/backup-recovery/best-mac-data-recovery-software/ I believe Disk Drill is quite good but I have not tried it myself.
IMPORTANT: Do not use your computer at all until data recovery is attempted or you may overwrite what you are attempting to recover, then it's really gone.
If on the other hand you have a backup eg Time Machine then it's very likely you can restore your entire folder from the TM interface.
In macOS Sierra Time machine is on by default but requires another drive to backup to. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.