Dual Processors-Why?

A

alan

I bought my G4 1.25DP(mirror?) about8 months ago; and now I'm wondering why. I thought it would be a good idea for DV, using FCP and DVDSP; I thought applications would be optimised to make use of Dual Processors. I haven't seen any reference to DP optimization on any app so far. Was I duped, am I getting any benefit from that second Processor; can't say my machine feels terribly fast.
OS 10.3(Darwin)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Applications that benefit from Dual processors (like Final Cut or eMagic's Logic) don't have it especially labelled somewhere. The system itself takes some advantage of it, without being directly noticable.

The performance of your computer also depends on the amount of RAM you have, especially for video editing. A single processor 1.25 with 2GB will be way faster than a dual 1.25 with 256MB, because the system doesn't need as often to write data on the harddisk.

On normal day use, like some Office stuff, Internet and so on, the second processor won't make things much faster. But when it come to raw data processing, like in music or video production, the DP is a good choice, with a good amount of memory of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I saw some benchmarks a while back that showed that a dual proc machine was (on average) 75% faster in 3D rendering apps and video work, than a single proc of the same clock speed.

You will not however, notice it in daily use and it won't feel any faster at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The CPU Monitor application in /Applications/Utilities will show you, graphically, how much processing each CPU is doing.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Try doing any of what you're doing on a single processor machine.

You'll notice why you spent the extra $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 8 core -HDD Raid 0 -20Gb/Ram -ATI5870
Hi,
I've a dual G4 1.25 with 256MB RAM.
It's painfull to use with not much ram...
I am not a PS or FC user at all, I use many programms at once but more intensive Virtual PC for testing OS's.
I also use The terminal emulator and do much compiling ( linux stuffs).
I was told to take care with the amoung of ram and I didn't want to listen to that fact... and now it's just painfull...
Dual it's good for multitasking... with enough ram!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I have the single 1.25, but with 768MB, and it runs quite fast.You really should get more RAM, I tried mine lately with 256MB, to see the difference, and it's just too slow because the system is permanently using the harddisk vor virtual memory.
Especially when working with VirtualPC, you really need more RAM.
512MB DDR PC2700 are around 100,- Euro, just to give you a pricing idea...

And by the way, the Terminal in Mac OS X is a real terminal, not an emulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 8 core -HDD Raid 0 -20Gb/Ram -ATI5870
Hi Avalon,

I can get 512MB PC2700 for about 130 Euro (Kingston I think).
oups!!! you're right about the emulator! I love it!! I don't want to start any debate about it but I can do much more and much quickly than with the finder (searching , removing file and so on).
Anyway, thank for your quick reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome, MACTUX.
We're nearly neighbours :D
130,- for Kingston is a good price I guess...I haven't checked prices since a week or so, and they were always between 100,- and 150,- Euro. But I checked German prices, as I found shop prices here in Luxemburg way too expensive, and the Belgium tax rate is too high too. ;)

Concerning the terminal, I don't want to debate either. Seeing your nickname, I suppose you're coming from the Linux world, and Linux people always prefer typing everything instead of point-and-click. :)
Just use your computer as you want, after all it's yours...no need to debate :D

OP
L

llaamaboy

Instead of starting a new topic and since I am getting ready to order a new D2G G5, please, a few questions here...

I was told the 10.3.X actually saw the dual processors as one processors. Clustered? From what I see in this discussion, is that true?

I was planning on 128 Meg for Vram but now it seems as if 256 would be much better in the long run. Is 10.4 shifting all the graphcis to the graphics board?

I want to ask how much Ram is needed, but can see the answers now, "depends". My best answer for that is sound and video - serious amateur. I was planning 1 Gig.

OP
T

The mac 13

alan said:
I bought my G4 1.25DP(mirror?) about8 months ago; and now I'm wondering why. I thought it would be a good idea for DV, using FCP and DVDSP; I thought applications would be optimised to make use of Dual Processors. I haven't seen any reference to DP optimization on any app so far. Was I duped, am I getting any benefit from that second Processor; can't say my machine feels terribly fast.
OS 10.3(Darwin)

k the reason is that steve promised 3hz at the end of d something.. but then end of that something came and 3hz didnt.. so to "compansiate" for 3hz, he puts in a second processor..so take it like 2.5ghz times 2= 5ghz.. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mac 13 said:
k the reason is that steve promised 3hz at the end of d something.. but then end of that something came and 3hz didnt.. so to "compansiate" for 3hz, he puts in a second processor..so take it like 2.5ghz times 2= 5ghz.. ;)

1. Welcome back ;)
2. What has this to do with the original post?!?
3. 3hz??? No Macintosh ever ran at 3Hz! :D
4. Two CPUs running at 2.5GHz are NOT the same than one CPU at 5GHz. It isn't just a simple addition, it's two CPUs working in parallel at the same speed.

OP
T

The mac 13

Avalon said:
1. Welcome back ;)
2. What has this to do with the original post?!?
3. 3hz??? No Macintosh ever ran at 3Hz! :D
4. Two CPUs running at 2.5GHz are NOT the same than one CPU at 5GHz. It isn't just a simple addition, it's two CPUs working in parallel at the same speed.

3. tats wat apple promised..
4.opps..quite true..sorry..got carried away coz gt ma acount back and also gt gmail..lol :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mac 13 said:
3. tats wat apple promised..
4.opps..quite true..sorry..got carried away coz gt ma acount back and also gt gmail..lol :)

Apple promised 3Hz??? That's 3 cycles per second... 2.5GHz (actual fastest G5) means 2.500.000.000 cycles per second...
See the diff' ? :D

OP
T

The mac 13

Avalon said:
Apple promised 3Hz??? That's 3 cycles per second... 2.5GHz (actual fastest G5) means 2.500.000.000 cycles per second...
See the diff' ? :D

FAST!!!ARGH!! YES I C!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.