Dual Monitors

Reaction score
I just purchased a second monitor for my Mac Pro tower, but it's not acting normal. When I had an imac with a second monitor, i was able to have the dock and menu bar on one screen, and the second just acted as an expanded desktop. Currently, the second monitor acts as an expanded desktop, but the menu bar and dock pop up on both, and one greys out when a window is active in the other. Is it possible to have the menu and dock appear on only one screen?

Reaction score
What you are seeing is the appearance in Mavericks and Yosemite.

Not sure you can stop it, but have a look in your System Preferences for what is possible.

OP
K
Reaction score
I've been poking around in the system preferences, but haven't found anything to fix that. Hopefully there is a script or a setting I can use...

Reaction score
Nope, that's how Mavericks and Yosemite do it. If you don't want the Dock to do that, put it on the side.
The Menubar's going to do it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just purchased a second monitor for my Mac Pro tower, but it's not acting normal. When I had an imac with a second monitor, i was able to have the dock and menu bar on one screen, and the second just acted as an expanded desktop. Currently, the second monitor acts as an expanded desktop, but the menu bar and dock pop up on both, and one greys out when a window is active in the other. Is it possible to have the menu and dock appear on only one screen?

You should be able to do what you want by using the options and placements you want with your System Preference Displays settings. Just as most OS X versions have done for years - unless it's limited to "mirroring" only.

Check its specs. everymac.com or apple etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.