Dual monitors question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Late 2009) Mac Mini 10.9.5, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
I just bought (2) new monitors to go with my (late 2009) mac mini. I'm a day trader and multiple screens would be very helpful. I've seen others use multiple screens, with one monitor being used for one thing and a second monitor being used for something else and thats what I am looking for, however... I hooked up both monitors, used an adaptor for the second one and they both work great except all I can do is look at the same thing on both screens. My main screen lets me control everything, but all I've been able to do so far with the second is view simultaneously what I'm seeing on the first. I can scroll my pointer from one monitor to the other, but thats it. How can I or is it possible to have both monitors viewing or doing separate things? Any input or questions are welcome.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Late 2009) Mac Mini 10.9.5, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Thanks for post. I read the article thru several times, followed instructions they recommended but for some reason I still only get mirroring instead of, "extended desktop", which is what I believe what they call the arrangement I want. I've tried "unchecking/deselecting" anything that says mirroring and everything is still the same, mirrored. Some things it suggests/instructs I can not access. For example it shows that I can "right click" Safari and then goto options and a lists will give me the option to tell it which display I want Safari to be on, display 1 or display 2... It doesn't give me that option. It also says when I go under "System Preferences" to the "display" and then click the "arrangement" tab it should give me interactions to follow, but it does not. All I get in "arrangements" is (2) blue boxes which I can move around. And I can select to mirror displays and I've tried it both ways with no difference. I wonder if the way my displays are connected to my Mac Mini is whats wrong. My main display is connected via an adaptor "Mini Display to VGA" the second(2) is connected thru a second adaptor which is "USB to VGA" video adaptor(J5create). This is what was recommended by Best Buy Tech Dude. I would have thought it would've been a single adaptor that split, but I'm into new territory for me on this.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've used an arrangement like this under an earlier version of the OS and it works. There are a couple of questions that occur to me. Apologies if you have answered this and I missed it. Are all external monitors connected and turned on when you try to go extended desktop mode?

Since you are only seeing two blue boxes that suggests one is not being recognized properly. Here's how to find out which one; Click one of the blue boxes in the arrangement tab. The monitor associated with that box will have a red border on screen. If it is the monitor connected to the usb adapter have drivers been installed?

Not sure why you can't access extended mode yet but this will help clarify the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.