Dual G5 Powermac OR Mac Mini C2D

Reaction score
Looking to make the switch from PC to Mac.

Have currently a high spec gaming PC with i will be selling to fund the cause :).

Now, i can afford either a 2.26 2GB New Mini or a top of the range Powermac Dual G5. Now, which is better?

One example of a possible PMac:

Apple PowerMac G5, Dual 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD

Complete with an Apple keyboard and mouse plus a pre-installed OS X Leopard (10.5)

Used but in mint condition with original box, manuals and disks

PowerMac G5 Dual 2Ghz
3GB RAM
160GB Hard Drive
DVD-RW
OS X Leopard 10.5
PowerPC G5

And the Mini would be the stock 2.26 model.

How does the PMac do with running current applications? Will it bog down at all? I take it that it cannot run SL because of the Intel thing?

What should i buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I think the fact that you can't run the latest version of OSX on the G5 should be your first clue that you will soon be unhappy with it.

Go with the mini, it will run circles around that 2 GHz G5 and give you many more options.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm assuming that the G5 is less expensive then the C2D Mac-mini...at least it should be. By the way...that 2ghz G5 is really not that top of the line.

Even though the C2D is probably more expensive...you will be much better off with it because it has the Intel CPU...and will be updatable with the latest OS releases...and will be compatible with new software (which in some cases is for Intel Mac's only).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma, I decided to go with the G5, for the sole reason is I there are more DYI upgrade options. Yes, the G5 is a whole lot bigger than the mac-mini and it doesn't run intel but I have had zero problems. With the G5 you have 2 internal HD's to play with along with PCI slots and the option of upgrading your Graphics card and if you so please dual monitor. Unfortunately the mac-mini doesn't dual monitor and you cannot upgrade at all, I believe. Each has their benefit, if you are looking for something smaller and with newer technology go with the mac-mini but if you want to tinker and upgrade it yourself then go with the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you decide to go the G5 route, and that is up to you, make sure you get a Dual Core machine. They are faster using DDR2 memory modules, handle up to 16GB of memory, have PCI-E slots and use PCI-E graphic cards.

They are available in 2GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.5GHz, suggest steer clear of the 2.5GHz as they are liquid cooled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.