DSLR Question

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
And in the long run. Nikon glass is generally more expensive than Canon's across the board.

What kind of glass do you guys use for just general photography? Just wondering because I mainly use a 50mm and was wondering if I should go for a 24mm or 28mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And in the long run. Nikon glass is generally more expensive than Canon's across the board.

True. Which sucks because it didn't always used to be this way. Reason being, (well one reason) is that Nikon manufactures their own glass, while Canon does not for the most part. This has hit them especially hard given the current economic situation across the globe. So you either cut back or increase prices. Seems that they're focusing a lot of their attention on R&D with new bodies, and less lenses, unfortunately.

However, the lenses which do exist are nothing short of spectacular. Which brings us to CR's question:

What kind of glass do you guys use for just general photography? Just wondering because I mainly use a 50mm and was wondering if I should go for a 24mm or 28mm.

General photography can mean different things to different people. If you mean street photography, then we have to move to the next question which is : DX or FX sensors ? I sometimes wish I had gone the FX route but I also like the crop factor for portraits which DX affords.

I started with an 35 1.8 but quickly found that it was too long for my tastes. I now have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 which is just an gem. Something rare for Sigma. Not only is the 28 a better focal length for me (which is obviously closer to 35mm on FX) but this lens also has a very good minimum focusing distance.

I also have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and this was my first lens. Used it a lot, and is great for head shots and some street stuff, but not as good as the 28 in that respect. Pretty nice bokeh too. And how could I resist ? It was only $100 ! Probably the best bargain ever. It's sharp as a tack stopped down at around f2.2 Not too shabby wide open, either. Unless yer a pixel peeper from DPreview ! :Angry-Tongue:

But now, I also own the Nikkor 70-300 VRII which you might not consider to be a true walk around lens, but it certainly can be if you like shooting candids or are a photo journalist. This lens is absolutely amazing and definitely not a bank buster. Just wish it were a tad faster at the long end.

Lastly, I own one more Sigma *yeah yeah.. but hey, I'm not rich !* which is definitely the gap filler and a very good walk around lens if the light is ample. It's a 17-70 HSM macro. It is great with various types of shooting scenarios, but its weak spot is AF accuracy in darker situations. Kind of hit and miss there. I'll eventually sell it (I hope) and perhaps go for something more in the wider dept like a 12-24. While the Nik would be great there, the Tokina is just as sharp wide open and compares very well.

So as you can see, I've pretty much got it covered from 17mm to 300mm. I also own the ThinkTank Speed Belt system, which enables me to carry every lens if I wish, and not feel very bogged down by them. Love that belt. Problem is, I bought the entire modular pack and now have about 4 pouches sitting around doing nothing. I only really needed the speed changer and maybe one more pouch just in case. Might sell those too.

Again, it really depends on what you're shooting. I actually use my 28mm the most, followed by the 70-300. I might try utilizing the 17-70 more at some point. But 28 is a great length for me. When I get my photos together, I'll post a link to some. Have about 6k to sort out and a fresh install of Lightroom. I really need to get my portfolio together though..

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...Again, it really depends on what you're shooting. I actually use my 28mm the most, followed by the 70-300. I might try utilizing the 17-70 more at some point. But 28 is a great length for me. When I get my photos together, I'll post a link to some. Have about 6k to sort out and a fresh install of Lightroom. I really need to get my portfolio together though..[..]

Wow great post Doug. ^-^" I guess I will eventually need to get a full spectrum of glass, but mainly for now I shoot I guess you could call them products. Mainly focusing on what's on the packaging actually.

I do ceramic sculptures on the side and they tend to get fairly large. I want to try documenting them for a gallery and it kind of gets expensive hiring a photographer to do a session when I have so many. Not to mention the fact that sometimes the quality of the images are not where I would expect them to be.

My next project is probably going to be large scale paintings, and I guess I might need some wide angles to be able to capture it all at once. I don't really feel like putting it on the ground...and using a ladder. >_<"""

Which is why I have decided that if I want something done right, I need to do it myself.

Reaction score
I use an 18-135 Nikon for everyday. Not spectacular, but it does O.K. For landscapes I use the Tokina and for portraits or wildlife the Nikon 70-300 VR. Those 2 are pretty spectacular.

Reaction score
I switched from medium format to only digital to enjoy my photography at 1/4 of the cost. I switched to Nikon because through the years they have not abandoned their customers. If you bought a great lens to use on that F2, you can still use it on your D90. Canon chose to go the another way.

That's why I went with Pentax, ANY pentax lens, even screw mount with adapters will work on my body and all of them get shake reduction (IS). Pentax has the best kit lens of anybody imho and excellent primes at a good price.

I started out looking at Nikon and Canon. I disliked the lens choice limitations for the lower end Nikons, and the Rebels felt like toys. Even the lower end pentaxes at the the time felt like a real camera.

Glass is what matters most.

Reaction score
I have been shooting DSLR's for years and about 4 or 5 years ago I would say their was a big difference between brands (with Canon perhaps ahead of Nikon due to its CMOS tech and low noise at high ISO levels).

Today, well technology has pretty much evened out the playing field and the only real differences in image quality is basically down to the extreme pixel peepers. Meaning you will get great images from either the Nikon or Canon entry level DSLRs.

But be warned, once you buy a brand and purchase a few extra lenses you have basically bought into a system and will most likely stay with that system for a long long time. Personally I way too much money invested into Canon bodies and lenses to even consider a Nikon camera these days.

Here are a few things to consider (and will most likely start up a fresh debate between users who will not agree with me):

1. Nikon is considered to have a better overall flash system then Canon does.
2. Nikon is considered to have a slightly better focusing system then Canon does (but Canon is making good improvements recently).
3. Many consider Canon to have a slightly better telephoto range of lenses then Nikon does, while Nikon have better wide-angle lenses.
etc.... There are many more and I would suggest you do a bit of research.

However, you cannot go wrong with either camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.