• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Dropping Powerbook 12"

Reaction score
I've heard rumours that Apple are droping the 12" powerbook, and just replacing it with the iBook. Does anyone know when (and if?) this will be happening? If this does happen, surely they will lose their compact powerhouse, favoured by many people on the go.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If Apple is not selling alot of them, then it make since to drop it from the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I haven't seen anything related to that on any of the mac rumor websites

B

brianwithan eye

theres a better chance of me getting pregnant than apple dropping the 12" powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would be very surprised if this were to be true. Where did you "hear" this?

OP
M
Reaction score
"Precisely what will become of Apple's 12-inch PowerBook offering is an unknown. Prior to Apple's announcement to switch to Intel-based processors in 2006, reliable sources said Apple planned to abandon its 12-inch PowerBook offering with the release of the current model. It's unclear if these plans have changed in light of the Intel announcement and the fact that all PowerBook G4 models will see no further revisions after this year."

This was off Apple Insider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Apple has a history of neglecting it's smallest laptops for long stretches of time. In 1996 or so, they discontinued the PowerBook Duo, and it took several months before the PowerBook 2400 came out to replace it. After the 2400 disappeared in 1997, there were several years when the "smallest" PowerBooks Apple sold were the 7-pound black-plastic PowerBook G3s.

Once the Macintels come out, I hope we'll see a new "ultraportable" PowerBook from Apple, built around a Pentium-M or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
i don't so much think they shoudl get rid of the 12in PB but ust make it into a 13in widescreen when the intel switch comes up.

So it woudl be a 12in and 14in iBook. then you would have the 13in, 15in, and 17in PB's. It would be kinda nice if they also made different resilutions on the 12in and 14in iBooks when the intel switch comes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.