Drive Genius

Reaction score
Does a new MacBook Pro running O.S. Sierra with all it's automated subsystems need added software such as Drive Genius 5?

With thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No not at all.

Any utility software recommended here is Onyx. Just download the Sierra version from the link, the top one. It is free and all these other 'cleaners' are considered snake oil. Hard drive software such as Drive Genius, DiskWarrior etc generally run around the hundred bucks mark and if your drive fails better to put that money to use on a new drive. In thirty years of being a Mac user, I have had one hard drive actually fail. Also do not run antivirus software on your MBP. Malwarebytes for Mac takes care of nasties.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've used Drive Genius before and it allowed me to repair some drive directory issues that the version of Disk Utility available at that time couldn't fix. Such utilities have saved me once or twice but they can be quite expensive to keep updated. Overall I have to agree with Harry, cost of keeping such software up-to-date could be better spent on a spare hard drive or two and keeping up with a good backup regimen.

OP
R
Reaction score
To. harryb2448

Many thanks for your valuable advice - that has saved me a lot of money! Much appreciated.

OP
R
Reaction score
To. Slydude.

Thanks to you as well this re-inforces Harry's comments. Thank you both for your time in answering my query.
Kind regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure I'm sure.

Keep coming back eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.