downloading itunes and vuze downloads onto older samsung or lg phones

Reaction score
The reason you got a text file rather than mp3 files is that an iTunes playlist is essentially a series of pointers to the music files not the files themselves. you need to find the files themselves and copy them that way. If you right-click one of the items in the playlist and choose "Reveal in Finder" it will show you the file to copy.

hello folks, just joined and have been spending CRAZY amount of time trying to figure out how to transfer some of my huge music collection onto some of my older samsung tracphones. i have been able to transfer music from my imac onto usb flash drives with no problem. i have a samsung "qwerty" keyboard phone which can accept up to a 32gb micro sd card. when i plug it into a usb slot i get nothing at all. i really would just like to use this as an mp3 player for the car only, and am not very sharp computer-wise. can this be done????? if not, could i just buy a micro sd reader and a microsd card and dump music directly onto the card????

OP
F
Reaction score
hello folks, just joined and have been spending CRAZY amount of time trying to figure out how to transfer some of my huge music collection onto some of my older samsung tracphones. i have been able to transfer music from my imac onto usb flash drives with no problem. however, my cars are older and do not have usb ports, only 3.5 mm input jacks. i have a samsung "qwerty" keyboard phone which can accept up to a 32gb micro sd card. when i plug it into a usb slot i get nothing at all. i really would just like to use this as an mp3 player for the car only, and am not very sharp computer-wise. can this be done????? if not, could i just buy a micro sd reader and a microsd card and dump music directly onto the card????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Well, my sister bought a Kia and I have some possibly related experience. I tried copying the music files from iTunes onto a USB, but she has purchased her music from Apple and the files are not MP3's and they wouldn't show up or play in the car. Kia's have a Microsoft player onboard. So I got a free app called AllToMP3 which I used to convert them. After that I put the converted MP3s on a usb and on her Jukebox in the Kia (Jukebox is just on board memory - but it only will play mp3's.) She can now play from the usb stick, or her phone or the Jukebox while in her car.

Maybe my experience will help you. I don't know anything about samsung tracphones.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have tried doing the same thing with several older flip phones that I used to own. I believe they were Samsung phones.... The problem with transferring MP3s from your Mac on to the micro sd cards that can be inserted into the Samsung is that the OS X system also transfers hidden files on to the card. File such as .Trashes, .DS_Store, .Spotlight, and so forth. This will cause your Samsung to not "see" the MP3s. Before doing any transferring of MP3s, you must remove the hidden files first.

To answer your question about using the Samsung phone as a MP3 player, the answer is yes. You would need to find a way to use the Samsung from your car - perhaps with an adapter. Using a micro sd reader and card alone is not going to work. Late model cars are all coming from the factory with "car play" built in which makes it easy to use your iPhone to play music and so forth while on the road. Of course that means buying a new car.

And please do not double post. I have combined both of your posts and replies.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Charlie When you mentioned using the Samsung in the car were you thinking of something like one of these? I used one some years back to play songs from an old iPod though the headphone jack and to the car radio via FM. They work with varying degrees of success.

@finbar50 If you decide to go this route do a bit of homework first. These things are available from several manufacturers. One thing you will want to look for how it selects the frequency it transmits on. Some only have one or two frequencies available which would be a problem if those frequencies are used in your area.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Sly:

I was hoping you would chime in. To be honest, I hadn't thought of what you suggested. I guess we need to know what's available for play in his auto. My 98 Mustang has a built in cassette and CD player which can be used in the same manner. I removed the cigar lighter connection (not a smoker - never was...) and inserted one of those USB adapters with two inputs. Works great for any USB devices to charge them or to use for playing back. Maybe he can do the same thing?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Charlie I hope you weren't actually waiting for me to have answers. You may be sorely disappointed.;D

I used one of these gizmos by Belkin. Our old Buick pre-dated car play by about two decades and I don't think the after market radio we installed had an aux connection. Our current Pontiac has an aux connection but is at best very awkward to get at to make a connection. I found, over the course of a trip to Arizona that these FM transmitters worked better at some times than others. You'll want as much flexibility in setting the frequency as you can get otherwise when you get into an area with a station that has a frequency near yours there may be some bleed over.

My advice to anyone reading this thread is to check your radio. If it has an aux (auxiliary) connection that lets you connect by wire use that. The FM gizmos are better than nothing and I'm sure they've improved but the wired connection will probably be less of a headache.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
@Charlie I hope you weren't actually waiting for me to have answers. You may be sorely disappointed.;D

I used one of these gizmos by Belkin. Our old Buick pre-dated car play by about two decades and I don't think the after market radio we installed had an aux connection. Our current Pontiac has an aux connection but is at best very awkward to get at to make a connection. I found, over the course of a trip to Arizona that these FM transmitters worked better at some times than others. You'll want as much flexibility in setting the frequency as you can get otherwise when you get into an area with a station that has a frequency near yours there may be some bleed over.

My advice to anyone reading this thread is to check your radio. If it has an aux (auxiliary) connection that lets you connect by wire use that. The FM gizmos are better than nothing and I'm sure they've improved but the wired connection will probably be less of a headache.

many thanks for all your suggestions, folks!! i do have an aux in port on my 2009 and 2011 vehicles, but on closer review the samsung slider phone doesn't even have a headphone jack!! duh!! looks like the easiest solution might just be buy an old used ipod....hopefully they might have a micro memory slot....thanks again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.