Downloading from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
I'm not sure if this is the correct place but here goes. Apple have been boasting that they have 'purchased' the latest U2 release and made it available to everybody with access to iTunes for nothing.

When I launch iTunes and go to the appropriate album it tells me to '...tap the cloud icon to download.' However, I cannot find a cloud icon to tap. Am I just being very dumb?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not just you - Took me awhile to figure out how to download it also...

Open iTunes
Go to the 'iTunes Store'
Inside the iTunes Store, at the right hand side under "Quick Links", click on 'Purchased'.
This is where you will find the album and be able to click the cloud icon to download.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I get when I go to the appropriate page in iTunes, I can't see where to go from this screen.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 11.54.28 am.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I was going to ask how to REMOVE this from my iPhone ... :)
The album is not in my iTunes on MBP, but it is in iPhone Music with iCloud icons next to each song.
Perhaps I should download it first, then delete it (as left swipe doesn't bring the delete button ... yet).

Nope, that didn't work - the crap is back, listed as before the download, with iCloud icons.
What a retarded way to "gift" something - shove it down one's throat, without asking first, and no obvious way to get rid of the "gift".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same as David .. I don't want the U2 album , and I don't want the download link on my phone .. How do you remove it ..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That will work. To paraphrase Tom's directions" Treat the album as though you have already purchased it. Don't click the album cover and click the "Purchased" link.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please re-read Tom's answer directly above yours.

I have done this but the Purchased link on that page does nothing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Couple of questions to clarify a few things:

1. Are you logged into the iTunes Store when you click Purchased?
2. If so, does the "Purchased" screen load when you click the link.
3. On the Purchased tab make sure it is set to Music and Recent files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I have done this but the Purchased link on that page does nothing.

Here's what should work for you:

• On the iTunes store page, click on album cover, so you get to the album page.
  • While there, click on Store in the top menu and select Sign Out
  • The "Purchased" button under the album cover will change to "Free"
  • Now, click on the Free button, and login back via pop-up login window, making sure that "Get" button is highlighted

That'll do it.... If you really want it ;D

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what should work for you:

• On the iTunes store page, click on album cover, so you get to the album page.
  • While there, click on Store in the top menu and select Sign Out
  • The "Purchased" button under the album cover will change to "Free"
  • Now, click on the Free button, and login back via pop-up login window, making sure that "Get" button is highlighted

That'll do it.... If you really want it ;D

That did indeed do it. Thanks for the help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to reiterate for anyone else having a problem finding the download:

Follow the directions provided in Post # 2 above - exactly.
There is no instruction there about going to the "appropriate page" in iTunes.
You don't go to "Music"...
You don't go to the "appropriate" album...

You open the iTunes store and on the "Home" page
look on the right hand side of the page where it says "Quick Links" and click on "Purchased" underneath it.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

What a retarded way to "gift" something - shove it down one's throat, without asking first, and no obvious way to get rid of the "gift".

You must be a load of laughs at Xmas. I'd love to see you tell your auntie that she's "retarded" and "shoving things down your throat without asking first" because she bought you something you didn't actually want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to reiterate for anyone else having a problem finding the download:

Follow the directions provided in Post # 2 above - exactly.

I believe the confusion is due to slightly different way iTunes US store works: if I login into US store with my US Apple ID, the album is indeed listed in Purchased, however when login into UK store, it is not, so going round (log out - login) as I described above is the only way I can see to get to the download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be a load of laughs at Xmas. I'd love to see you tell your auntie that she's "retarded" and "shoving things down your throat without asking first" because she bought you something you didn't actually want.

Have you been talking to aunt Irene?! I mean, I asked her hundred times, not to blab about family matters with other kids! ;D And yes, she's not the brightest in the family, never mind two PhDs ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.